Profile Do’s & Don’ts

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Profile Do’s & Don’ts

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 10:22 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

C. Price
    C. Price
    Participant
    October 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm #15498
    Profile Do’s & Don’ts

Use your profile like an open book or keep some secrets to share for later?

knock knock
    knock knock
    Participant
    October 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm #15517

I’d love to hear what people have to say. I started an online profile with eHarmony and it was either women who are way too honest and others who barely fill out the sections. If anyone writes “likes music” it’s definitely a kick starter for me.

username_25
    username_25
    Participant
    October 27, 2012 at 8:52 am #15540

I think being a little vague helps start a conversation too.

underthesea
    underthesea
    Participant
    October 27, 2012 at 10:58 am #15727

Im not so sure abotu that. Like what if you say you like music, but it turns out one of you is like really into rap and the other really likes country music?

spoodle
    Participant
    November 14, 2012 at 12:56 pm #16069

You can’t be too vague, like underthesea said, you might end up meeting someone who has a completely different taste in music, books, tv shows. Might as well be honest.

Caroline
    Caroline
    Participant
    November 15, 2012 at 10:48 am #16233

username_25 wrote:I think being a little vague helps start a conversation too.

I’ve had some pretty awful experience with vague people online. It’s one thing to write a novel and it’s another to just do bullet points.

underthesea
    underthesea
    Participant
    November 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm #16375

I agree, like I was saying eariler. Like being vague is fine in some situations when ur talkign about really personal stuff, but when it’s basic personality info why leave people in the dark?

sara
    sara
    Participant
    November 22, 2012 at 12:17 am #17104

I think I will keep some secrets to share later on. Just opening everything in the first conversation is something which I wont be comfortable with.

good_burger
    Participant
    November 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm #17390
    Reply To: Profile Do’s & Don’ts

Definitely DON’T say how many people you’ve slept with. I swear I’ve seen multiple women write (in broad terms) how frequently they hook up with ppl. It’s crazy!

edgarAP
    edgarAP
    Participant
    November 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm #17408

I wasn’t vague — LOL. `I look at my profile like a love resume.

I see what your saying here, but it’s definitely the wrong thing to treat dating like a business. You want to be straightforward, yes, but you also need to express some emotion!

sphinx_s
    sphinx_s
    Participant
    December 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm #18514

Profile DON’T: If you’re a guy, don’t say you just broke up with someone!!!!! Better yet, delete your account and log back on when you’re emotionally stable to find another girl.

harrytimes
    Participant
    December 16, 2012 at 8:29 pm #18912

I don’t know why I was matched with so many young girls. I’m interested in older women and the site I use gave me girls 5-10 years younger than me. Did I do something wrong on my profile?

RedRobinYumm
    Participant
    April 8, 2013 at 3:36 pm #27954

When you write your intro /about me, definitely don’t say too much. Explaining you were just in a serious relationship is a huge red flag for those of us looking for someone to date. Anyone who has just broken up just shows desperation for attention. If you’re looking for a “quick fix” then maybe it’ll work for you but not for anything else!

TorryTrue
    TorryTrue
    Participant
    April 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm #29173

Guys, he ladies don’t like it when we hover on their pages so much. Send a wink, do a flirt then wait for them to respond. If they don’t a light hearted message is all they need to hear. If they don’t take the bait again, I suggest letting it go. A woman once told me I was too aggressive because I messaged her after 2 days of no response. She didn’t have to tell me but she said that she was away for the weekend and I didn’t have to be so upset for “ignoring me.” Needless to say, a bit embarrassed.

TorryTrue
    TorryTrue
    Participant
    April 19, 2013 at 12:22 pm #29174

Guys, the ladies don\’t like it when we hover on their pages so much. Send a wink, do a flirt then wait for them to respond. If they don\’t a light hearted message is all they need to hear. If they don\’t take the bait again, I suggest letting it go. A woman once told me I was too aggressive because I messaged her after 2 days of no response. She didn\’t have to tell me but she said that she was away for the weekend and I didn’t have to be so upset for “ignoring me.” Needless to say, a bit embarrassed.