Seeing someone but still thinking about my ex..

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 3:56 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Mk1204
    Participant
    September 17, 2017 at 11:11 pm #149308

I’ve been seeing this guy for about a month and a half and he’s been great so far.. but for some reason my ex keeps popping into my head! It’s very frustrating because I like this guy alot and I do not want to be with my ex. Long story short, my ex and I were together a total of 6 years and married for 2 of those years. Our divorce was just finalized over the summer but we’ve been separated for almost a year. My ex was very jealous, clingy and turned into a real jerk towards the end of our marriage. This new guy has been amazing but sometimes when I’m with him, I think about my ex. Is this normal? I almost feel guilty thinking about my ex when I’m seeing someone else..but I can’t help it. Anyone else been through this? Also, this isn’t the first guy I’ve dated since we split up.. so it’s not a rebound or anything like that, I genuinely like this guy!

DivaR23
    Participant
    September 22, 2017 at 7:32 pm #150096

Hi, Mk1204, I am sorry to hear about your dilemma. I have been through something similar – actually, I am currently going through it. You mentioned you were with your ex for 6 years, which is a significant amount of time. It’s perfectly natural for you to still think about you ex because at one point he was such a huge part of your life. Moving on can be very hard and it might just be that being with a new man is triggering something in you that is reminding you of your ex. Don’t feel guilty. With time you will think less and less of your ex, especially as things progress in any new relationship you embark on. Stay strong and enjoy your new guy.

thomrose524
    Participant
    September 25, 2017 at 9:54 am #150085

Yes, it is normal. Whatever you do, though, no matter how much you think about the ex, don’t even think about getting back together. There is a very good reason he is an ex.