Should I be upset about New Year's Eve Ditch?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 10:08 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

December 22, 2016 at 5:41 pm #120946

So, I have been dating this guy for just about two years and we have had our ups and downs but he means the absolute world to me. We got to the same university but when we are not in school, he tends to go to his parents’ house and lives there. Last year I begged him to spend New Year’s eve with me. He refused but a few minutes after midnight, he interupted my tears over leftover xmas chocolates to call me saying “I look forward to another year with you and I promise if we are still together next year, we can spend New Year’s eve together.” It was just the right thing to say to cheer me up. In November and in the beginning of December we discussed plans to spend new year’s together. Now 2016 is almost up, and at my family’s Christmas celebration, he announces yo me that he thinks seeing me that one timr should be enough over our 6 week break from university. New Years Eve is the biggest date night of the year and I have dreamed about getting a midnight kiss since I was a little girl.

December 22, 2016 at 5:50 pm #120947

Please give me advice. I don’t know what to do. I feel so alone in my relationship. Has anyone else ever been there? Able yo relate?

johnp
    Participant
    December 23, 2016 at 9:09 am #120948

Does he understand how much this means to you? It could be that he simply doesn’t understand how important New Year’s Eve is to you, and is not intentionally upsetting you. Perhaps he would change his plans if he knew how you felt about this? If you explain to him how important it is to you, and he still says he isn’t going to be with you, and he doesn’t have a strong reason for his decision, then you should express to him how disappointed you are in him. Only you can decide if you would want to break up with him over this. If he’s otherwise a great guy, and it’s impractical for him to be with you on New Year’s Eve (if he lives very far away, for example), then maybe you need to be more understanding of that? You need to discuss it with him and decide whether he isn’t putting in enough effort, or if you’re asking too much.

If I were him, I’d be with my girlfriend on NYE as it’s a guaranteed score 😉