DATING ADVICE FORUM

Should I break the ice?

Author
    Comments

• Phil7463
    Participant
    November 20, 2016 at 7:51 am #117925
    Should I break the ice?

So I’m a sophomore in high school and there’s this girl (let’s call her Alexa) who’s good friends with one of my best friends (let’s call him James). I know she’s not sexually attracted to him because one of her friends told me that she wouldn’t date my friend in a million years. He’s pretty ugly to be honest, he’s like 200 pounds, pasty white, and looks basically like a basement dwelling WoW player. I’m seriously not exaggerating. Last year, I tried to become good friends (to get started) with her by hanging out with both her and James at the same time for a few times. It went okay, but it felt sort of awkward so I stopped. Anyway, she hangs out with James a lot, and when he went to the movies for his birthday, he took a big group that included both me and Alexa. I talked to her, made her smile and laugh, etc. but ever since it kind of went back to being awkward again. We have one class together but we don’t really talk at all.

Phil7463
    Participant
    November 20, 2016 at 8:24 am #117926

I’m not a narcissist but I’m far more attractive than James and I’m pretty sure that Alexa is into guys like me (we’re pretty similar in terms of race, religion, etc.). I don’t really get my things are awkward between us. Sure, I’m not the coolest kid on the block but I’m moderately sociable, made the state soccer team, and am a huge Nintendo fan. I’m a bit into everything, I can’t really bring myself to believe that there’s no common ground between her and I. She’s slightly on the nerdier side of the spectrum, but I’m sort of a geek while getting the benefits/social status of being a (sort of) jock. She’s pretty hot to be honest and I genuinely don’t know why things are awkward between us, I think we’d be a good match. I don’t know if I should break the ice or not, I mean, I really want to but I don’t know if that’d make things even more awkward than they already are. Even if it is a good idea, how should I go about doing it?

Thank you for reading all this

nikefan18
    Participant
    November 20, 2016 at 10:42 am #117929

I was in the same situation. You know what you have to do ? Just go to her before/after class and ask her school related things like have you already studied for that test, do you understand this or that,… If she just answers with a few words and doesn’t ask you any questions then move on. If she shows emotions (laughs, seems interested, even touches you gently ?) and changes the subject, then it’s a good sign. Do this a few times and then ask her out.

happy
    Participant
    November 21, 2016 at 7:26 am #117991

👍

Phil7463
    Participant
    November 21, 2016 at 7:32 am #117941

Sounds good, thanks for the response

Mr.J
    Mr.J
    Participant
    November 26, 2016 at 8:02 am #118146

I think its a guy thing to take initiative..You say that you are quite sociable and I guess its not that hard to think some things that will break the ice..Just be confident and dont live down to your expectations.