Should I continue this relationship?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 10:27 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Zangetsu
    Participant
    April 10, 2016 at 2:36 am #97407

So I’m an 18 year old HS senior and I have a girlfriend who’s 17 years old and she’s a junior. Next year I’ll be a college freshman and she’ll be a senior and the college is close to her. We are quite happy together but I wonder should I continue this relationship with her next year. Seeing as I’m in college, I don’t want to be seen as the creepy guy lurking around HS. It’s just a year difference but still, what should I do? In my grade right now, there’s an 18 year old girl going out with a 26 year old, which everyone agrees is pretty weird and I don’t want to be seen like that guy.

JanaG
    JanaG
    Participant
    April 10, 2016 at 6:32 am #97414

You are thinking too much about people’s opinion. If you are happy with a person that should not bother you at all.
    If you are thinking about this as an issue to stop your relationship it means that you do not sincerely like your girlfriend.
    Let her go, she deserves to be with someone who will support her anytime and everywhere.

rob.john0310
    Participant
    April 11, 2016 at 12:45 am #97420

I agree, you are over thinking it in this situation. One year difference is nothing!

hockeyfan93
    Participant
    April 11, 2016 at 10:41 am #97436

I agree too. You’re overthinking this. If you guys really like eachother it shouldn’t matter. Plus it’s only a year difference. You can do it!

MarisiaKing
    MarisiaKing
    Participant
    April 11, 2016 at 11:58 pm #97505

If you two like each other, you’ll make it work. And one year won’t be seen as weird, especially if you two were seen around school fairly often and everybody you both know recognize you as a couple. Just don’t do anything rash.

Zangetsu
    Participant
    April 12, 2016 at 9:35 am #97522

I know its a year apart but my main issue is the fact that I’m college and she’s in HS. I mentioned above of how a 26 year old is dating an 18 year old in my grade and I don’t want think of our relationship as weird as that.

Anonymous
    April 16, 2016 at 7:16 am #97989

1 year is nothing. I wouldn’t worry about it, if you keep dating her you don’t have to be “lurking” around her HS, go out on dates go different places that make you comfortable. If you do really like her then I wouldn’t end it just because you are going to college.

mft3891
    Participant
    April 16, 2016 at 10:26 am #97997

Your concern about how your relationship is going to be viewed by others is a normal concern to have. What you want to focus on avoiding for the rest of your life is making as few decisions as possible based on what something “looks like” to others. Plenty of guys come into college dating their HS girlfriends that are still in HS.

Zangetsu
    Participant
    April 17, 2016 at 12:46 pm #98014

Your concern about how your relationship is going to be viewed by others is a normal concern to have. What you want to focus on avoiding for the rest of your life is making as few decisions as possible based on what something “looks like” to others. Plenty of guys come into college dating their HS girlfriends that are still in HS.

So you’re saying it wouldn’t appear weird or strange?

Zangetsu
    Participant
    April 17, 2016 at 12:46 pm #98015

So you’re saying the situation is ok then?

Zangetsu
    Participant
    April 19, 2016 at 2:07 pm #98121
    Reply To: Should I continue this relationship?

Sorry the 2nd one was an accidental duplicate.

freeatheart
    freeatheart
    Participant
    April 20, 2016 at 1:22 pm #98216

You are thinking too much about people’s opinion. If you are happy with a person that should not bother you at all.
    If you are thinking about this as an issue to stop your relationship it means that you do not sincerely like your girlfriend.
    Let her go, she deserves to be with someone who will support her anytime and everywhere.

I agree,age doesn’t matter,my nephew graduated high school last year and he’s still with his girlfriend who is still in high school,it’s what you and her want that’s all that matters.

Zangetsu
    Participant
    April 20, 2016 at 2:42 pm #98233

I know but I feel like the justifications used here could be used to justify some other things that I’m not ok with personally.

Sooverit
    Participant
    April 21, 2016 at 9:21 pm #98434

How do you feel about her? Are you completely madly in love with this girl? Is she “the one”? Some people do find their soul mates in high school. If not, then be free to live your life. I’m 33, and I was with my ex for 15 years, I met him when I was 17, and missed all the fun things college kids do, because I was in a serious relationship and ended up with a child at a young age. Although my son is the best thing that has happened with me, I wish I would have been able to experience college, have fun, establish my career, and plan my baby. We’re no longer together and I’m now starting over. So if you’re not 100% sure that’s it’s not going to work or you’re not going to put 100% into it, then end it now, before any more feelings get involved and enjoy yourself. You’ll have your whole life ahead of you for relationships, you’re still so young! Live it up!

novice101
    Participant
    April 21, 2016 at 10:59 pm #98438

Don’t worry about other people thinking you’re “weird,” 1 year difference isn’t a big deal, even at 17 and 18 (just be versed in age of consent laws). Plus the fact that you two have dated in high school and are just continuing the relationship, in my opinion, keeps you from looking like you’re “lurking” around younger girls or anything like that. So, I believe you should continue the relationship unless you have a more legitimate reason to call it off. My two cents anyway.

1 2