should I date a girl who wants to be just friends?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    November 11, 2017 at 10:14 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

peter.wolf
    Participant
    July 1, 2015 at 3:32 pm #81902

Cheers all,

some time ago I was on a date with a girl I liked. Date was ok, but quite short (neither of us had enough time) and we did not kiss or anything. While we were setting another date she texted me a message saying she had been thinking about it and would like to let me know that she considered it as friends hangout. And she wanted to make sure that we both understand it. So I answered her in very polite manner, that of course I considered it a date and I do not feel like hanging out with her as friends and so we stopped our conversation. Well, I guess I did what must have been done. But I wonder what you think? One friend of mine thinks I should have given it another chance (date). As for me, I can imagine having answered her message in a way “ok, I understand, but I consider it a date and will pursue you on every date” :-).

So, what do you think? Have I acted well or not?

Just A Guy
    Participant
    July 4, 2015 at 8:36 pm #81984

If you like her a lot, play along with her friends idea. A lot of women want to be friends first so that they don’t seem too desperate. Do what you will do, and if she gets tired of your advances, she won’t see you again, or she may decide she does want to date after all. One thing that a lot of women expect from a man is that he won’t upset her too much by demanding to do things in a too straightforward way.
    Or she may have found a guy she’s more interested in romantically, and there was nothing you could have done about it.
    It also depends on how much you like to play manipulative games. It seems like games to men, but to women it’s serious business.

peter.wolf
    Participant
    July 5, 2015 at 8:39 am #81990

thank you for your reply. Well, I do not love manipulative games. What do you been but not upsetting women by demanding things in too straightforward way? Should I date with her, but on surface be “just friends”?

peter.wolf
    Participant
    July 8, 2015 at 9:08 am #82208

I have some interesting news. We met accidentaly and walked a little bit together. It was fine and I thought she would text me. And I was right. She texted me a message saying that she liked to meet me and would be very happy if I reconsidered the possibility of our friendship. 😀 I really do not understand this girl. Do you? Why does she wants to be friends with me so much?

peter.wolf
    Participant
    July 8, 2015 at 4:47 pm #82387

well, I replied that I was happy to meet her, but for real friendship both of us has to understand it as friendship. Then I wrote I would be friends with her just to see, if I still liked her and if so, would try to get engaged with her in a romantic way, which would then bother her, me or both of us. Then I finished my message with “take care” and paid her a compliment (she really looked gorgeous that day).

She replied, that I looked well too, and that she had a proposal for me. we should go out few times and if I do not like her any more, we will end this, and if I do, perhaps she will not mind me pursuing her. She would like to get to know me first and then engage maybe in something more. Other way round it s not possible.

What I know about her (and she does not know that) is she has not been in a relationship for quite a long time.

Well, I decided to give it a try and see how it goes. But I understand that her proposal is probably just to get what she wants (a friend).

peter.wolf
    Participant
    July 8, 2015 at 4:48 pm #82388

However I am facsinated by the fact she wants to be friends with me so much. I have not experienced this before, so I m really curious.

of course this will not prevent me from dating other girls

Timing_87
    Participant
    July 8, 2015 at 7:46 pm #82411
    Reply To: should I date a girl who wants to be just friends?

Hmm this is weird. Does she touch you at all when you are out? Your shoulder or flirt with you at all?

If so, I would probably go for the kiss, or actually, look at her and say I was just about to kiss you, but then that wouldnt be friendship. Then walk away.

Then treat her as you would any other friend…pick a friend and pretend its her. Then go back to you pursuing her.

Just an idea!

peter.wolf
    Participant
    July 10, 2015 at 5:52 am #82594

thank you Timing. Well we have been out just once, but she were not touchy. She was rather cold

richardfoster366
    Participant
    July 11, 2015 at 12:14 am #82632

I don’t think it’s worth it especially in the long run

peter.wolf
    Participant
    July 14, 2015 at 3:15 pm #82778

well I ll give it a try and will keep you informed. I personally think she will fall in love with me soon. 😉

everything
    Participant
    July 18, 2015 at 3:11 am #82997

Welcome to the friend zone, try to meet some of her friends! This is a way to get into the personality/behaviorial type she runs with. My current gfriend F’d me the first night we got together, they move pretty quick these days. Still, I stay with her for companionship, I’ll never marry her, she has nothing to offer, she spends it as fast as she gets it, fools around with other men, drives brand new cars, has no intention on retirement, lives for today. It’s not easy..

Queryfox
    Participant
    July 18, 2015 at 11:07 am #82999

I don’t see anything wrong with her calling it a friend hangout. You just want the opportunity to spend time with her…whether she calls it a date or not does not matter as long as you get that chance. By spending time, flirting, chatting, you can build it into a relationship.

peter.wolf
    Participant
    August 1, 2015 at 8:04 am #83479

OK guys, end of story. I was wrong. She did not fall in love with me. Wanna be just friends, likes to talk with me – she told me after our few “dates”. Clearly her vagina did not get wet in my presence. So I m not seeing her anymore. Thank you for joining to this thread and wish you luck 😉

Manonfire
    Participant
    August 1, 2015 at 8:24 pm #83483

cheyenne
    Participant
    August 2, 2015 at 3:37 pm #83489

if she appeals to you be patient

1 2