Should I feel bad for having a racial preference in dating?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

xcaligirlx
    xcaligirlx
    Participant
    June 29, 2015 at 4:53 am #81715

i just want to say that this is really bothering me and I need help asap. okay so I’m white and I found that i’m only attracted to white guys, I pretty much prefer white guys exclusively in dating (there’s a lot of reasons why I prefer my own race, certain features, similar background, interests and culture, stuff like that). anyway, recently at school this black guy asked me out and when I told him I wasn’t interested he accused me of being a racist. It was so embarrassing, it was at school, in public, and everyone heard him call me a racist! I’m not racist though. i mean c’mon I have friends from all races and backgrounds, i love everyone equally. But I can’t help who I’m attracted to. Some of my friends tried to comfort me and reassure me that I wasn’t racist that it’s just my preference, i agree, but i feel like people are shaming me now for not dating outside my race or something. Should i feel bad because of this?

Anonymous
    June 30, 2015 at 9:00 am #81786

i dont think you need to feel bad for having a preference. everyone is an individual and is allowed to make their own choices. you don’t have to date other races just because some people do. i also had a criteria in the skin colors i would prefer to date for similar reasons and that doesnt make me a racist to the people i prefered not dating. you don’t have to be attracted to every single male out there. its like taste buds. you eat the foods you acquire a taste for.. therefore you associate with the people you click with, date the guys you’re attracted to etc…
    stand up for your individuality and don’t feel bad for being who you are 🙂

tropperdu
    tropperdu
    Participant
    July 1, 2015 at 2:00 am #81858

I agree, don’t feel bad for your preference. BUT- I wouldn’t broadcast it either. You can’t help who you’re attracted to…I couldn’t be called a racist for saying I like guys with dark hair and eyes solely because that’s not skin-tone focused. But it’s really not any different. But try to keep your options open, don’t sign someone off just because of their race.