Should You Stay Friends with an Ex-Girlfriend?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 4:51 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

C. Price
    C. Price
    Participant
    April 9, 2013 at 11:42 am #28058

I wanted to share what our lesbian dating expert, Mary Malia, wrote about staying friends with an ex.

http://www.datingadvice.com/advice/should-you-stay-friends-with-an-exgirlfriend

Thoughts?

blackbird glide
    blackbird glide
    Participant
    April 10, 2013 at 6:23 pm #28366

The intention of being friends is pure but since one of the two wants to be friends sooner than the other (generally the one who broke it off), she will be too pushy about it and will suffocate the one who’s heart broken over it. I say take your time. Patience is fine, you have pleeennnttyy of time to be friends!

bubblyjo
    bubblyjo
    Participant
    April 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm #28456

The intention of being friends is pure but since one of the two wants to be friends sooner than the other (generally the one who broke it off), she will be too pushy about it and will suffocate the one who’s heart broken over it. I say take your time. Patience is fine, you have pleeennnttyy of time to be friends!

I agree here, although one person wants to kick off into the friendship, it may be harder for the one who has had a broken heart. Friendships take time whether you dated that person or not.

genesis58
    Participant
    April 19, 2013 at 4:12 pm #29216

Take your time when it comes to being friends with an ex. Get over the heartbreak with your friends and family and THEN go back to see how your ex is doing. Feelings may still be up in the air and it’s hard to have a logical conversation if you can’t see past emotions

BabyTrucker
    BabyTrucker
    Participant
    February 5, 2016 at 2:02 pm #92998

I personally feel like I don’t want to be friends with my ex, I am still very in love with her and I want her back.

car
    Participant
    March 13, 2016 at 4:15 pm #95532

I understand love is hard to let go, but you may have to wait to see if they want come back or you may have to move forward.

Nikki
    Participant
    July 26, 2016 at 9:50 am #106538

I am at a loss here. I have only had one lesbian relationship. I’ve done a lot of reading about lesbian relationships and it seems to be a normal transition from friends to lovers. Not at all like heterosexual relationships.

Nikki
    Participant
    July 26, 2016 at 1:25 pm #106671

So, I actually met my ex-lover when I was 8 yrs old. She would come over to my house uninvited; she was such a tomboy. Fast forward 40 yrs later, she hits me up on fb. We exchanged phone numbers and started communicating. Never been attracted to a woman, but I slowly fell for her. We became lovers ($best friends). For over 5 & 1/2 yrs, we were lovers that went back and forth being best friends. In November of last year, she asked if we could try being lovers again; I said no. In April, she met someone. Of course, then I realize I’m totally in love with her. She says we’re soulmates ( I think so too) which makes this extremely difficult. I didn’t appreciate her, I want her back desperately. She still wants to be best friends. I can’t right now; but I do want her back. Yes, I’ve told her, but her excuse is its easier to start with someone else, but we will find our back to each other when the time is right for us. Anything I can do? She won’t stop calling. No contact from me.

Nikki
    Participant
    July 26, 2016 at 1:35 pm #106675

Does the “no contact for 30 days” apply here since we were already friends? Or should I stay in the friendship and hope she realizes we belong together? Come between her and her new girlfriend? I miss her, but I think she also needs some time to miss me. I am hopelessly in love with this woman, and I need her in my life. She still tells me she loves me and she actually won’t come near me sometimes because she says she doesn’t want to cheat. We’ve had sex twice since she got involved with her girlfriend. The last time, more passionate than ever. Sometimes I feel as though she talks herself into wanting this new relationship, but she tells me she needs me in her life! What to do?