slept with a good friend of 6 years and am now heartbroken, not sure what to do

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 8:09 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

confusedgradstudent
    Participant
    July 8, 2014 at 5:52 am #56850

Recently, I slept with a friend who I have known for 6 years and who knows almost everything about me. This year, we slept together (it was his suggestion to visit me). The first time, it didn’t seem as if our flirty friendship had changed too much. The second time, though, I stayed at his place for a week and somehow, things changed. We had unprotected sex in the heat of the moment, and after that, the sex was insanely passionate. We have always had a lot of fun together (we both think the other person is funny), but staying with him made me see other sides of him too: he is kind, patient, and thoughtful. The reason I didn’t see him as dating potential before is that I didn’t think he was mature enough. When I left and came home, we continued chatting for a few days and it was great but recently he has cooled off and doesn’t contact me unless I initiate. I am sad; I now have feelings for him. I don’t know if I should contact him or not! What if he thinks of me as just a friend?

loveanonymousstyle
    loveanonymousstyle
    Participant
    July 8, 2014 at 3:14 pm #56924

Give him some space. Given your history he may feel overwhelmed and guys need time to process and catch up. As tough as it is give him a couple of weeks and if he hasn’t resurfaced than you have your answer. In the meantime keep busy and breathe. Take the couple of weeks to gain perspective. If he values your friendship and is truly thoughtful he will at a minimum reach out as your friend.

confusedgradstudent
    Participant
    July 8, 2014 at 3:21 pm #56926

Thank you! That’s exactly the reason that I haven’t been contacting him. It’s been a full week now though and the radio silence is killing me! It’s so hard! 🙁 I figured that if he liked me half as much as I like him, he’d at least want to talk to me.