Someone with social anxiety dating someone with worse social anxiety

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2017 at 4:41 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

JeffS
    Participant
    August 10, 2015 at 11:52 pm #83845

About 1 month ago, I met someone I think is the prettiest woman on match within 50 miles from me, seems to be the sweetest woman I’ve ever met. We went on a first date within 1 week of her messaging me. I thought the date went well. Besides the fact that saying I was physically attracted to her would be an understatement, I felt a romantic connection with her. I could tell that she had severe social anxiety, she stuttered and seemed very nervous. We went for dinner and then went for a drink afterwards. The date ended after 4 hours and a few kisses. 2 days later, I asked her out again. She said that she was taking a break from dating but wished to stay in touch with me. She stated she had family issues (that she mentioned before us meeting). For the last 5 weeks, she has texted me good morning, how was your day, good night, etc. I asked her out again, she said she’s taking a break from dating still. I told her that I’d love to see her again as a friend or otherwise.

JeffS
    Participant
    August 11, 2015 at 12:05 am #83847

We never missed a day, afternoon or night that we didn’t text each other. I don’t mind talking to her but of course, I am not taking a break from dating even tho the women I am meeting I don’t like nearly as much as I like her. I am on online dating to meet women to do things with, not to have a distance relationship (not that she’s far away). I don’t want to seem pushy and I can believe she has severe social anxiety. I have never been in this situation before, what should I do?

uttom777
    uttom777
    Participant
    August 11, 2015 at 7:54 am #83850

Some people grow up with a special character. Their heart becomes cool and soft. They could not forget their past event. So they suffer a lot from anxiety. I think that dating means “Man or woman delight with their opposite for a short time”. So the person who dates now and then must forget the event. If he /she does not forget it, they suffer a lot from social anxiety.

ladeeda
    Participant
    August 12, 2015 at 12:10 am #83923

Maybe she’s just nervous/uncomfortable because of her anxiety and feels embarrassed about it. I went through a phase where I met someone amazing, but I was dealing with a lot of issues in my family which were causing me to be on edge/anxious. If she is stuttering, it may be humiliating for her. I was a stutterer as a child. I got bullied A LOT. People can be cruel, at times. I would back off a little and date other people. I would keep texting and giving her space to deal with how she feels. Sometimes a couple of weeks can be enough to bring a socially anxious person out of his/her shell. I just wouldn’t pry or remind her about it. That could make things worse. Anyway, I hope that helps. Good luck 🙂