Splitting the check for first few dates is annoying

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    August 8, 2017 at 11:15 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

June_Bug 39
    Participant
    July 30, 2017 at 10:03 pm #143625

I’ve gone out with a 42 year old man about 4 times in the past few weeks. He moved back to the area 2 years ago and lives with his mom while he decides his next move. We have split the check for each date. I can’t lie, it’s a bummer. I wish he would have paid for the first few (romance, anyone?) but when I offered my card, he has taken it each time.
    On our last date (he has suggested what we should do for each of them), we went out for a few drinks and apps and split it. Then we went to a cash only place where I mentioned that I didn’t have cash but he said he would pick it up since I had paid more during the last date. Well, the check comes and he tells me he doesn’t have enough cash and the waiter says the atm is across the street and my date stares blankly at me and says “do you want me to go?” What could I say but no? I went but I was fuming. He said he would pay and now I’m walking across the street at 11pm to get cash to pay our check. Am I being unreasonable that I’m upset?

TravisB
    TravisB
    Participant
    July 31, 2017 at 4:46 pm #143732

I’m always for gender equality and breaking through gender roles. But as a guy, I always always pay on the first few dates–sometimes longer than that. It’s just a nice gesture and a gentlemanly thing to do in my opinion. If a guy can’t afford to get drinks, I hate to sound biased but probably not a good sign. If he can’t afford to buy drinks, he shouldn’t be out on a date to get drinks. Period. He either doesn’t have money or doesn’t value you–either way I sense it’s a red flag for sure.