Starting from scratch at 31

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    November 11, 2017 at 9:11 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

mr_forlorne
    mr_forlorne
    Participant
    October 26, 2017 at 11:58 pm #154264

So here’s my predicament. I’m a 31 year old college student (computer science) with no experience dating at all, and all my friends have fallen out of touch just due to life commitments. I also happen to live in a predominately religious (also anti-alcohol, so no bars) community and I don’t intend to ever become religious myself.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where I should be going to meet women?

I’ve tried dating apps, but they seem to lead no where.

RafNY
    Participant
    October 27, 2017 at 9:22 am #154271

I’m in a similar situation. My GF of 7 years moved out few month ago and before her I had another long relationship, now I am single with literally no dating experience. I’ve read some posts where people suggested doing speed dating or meetups instead of online dating. I guess it gives you more face time but right now my confidence with women is pretty low so I haven’t tried it yet. I did have some success online so I think there is definitely potential there as well. Maybe just try reworking your profile/pics etc. You could always try to hit up a bar on your own but that was never really my thing. School could be a good place to meet women as well, I was actually considering taking some classes just to meet people. You could always try to find a part time job somewhere where there is a lot of women or people to meet in general like the mall for instance. Good luck man…

cornfused
    Participant
    October 27, 2017 at 12:07 pm #154311

I would suggest OKCupid. Nothing wrong with online dating these days. I have met a few very nice women on there.Good Luck!

richiro
    richiro
    Participant
    October 27, 2017 at 4:11 pm #154327

know that every moment of your life that you are outside of your dwelling is an “opportunity to meet somebody to date” – it’s not just bars, dating sites, etc. where this can happen. So open your mind to that. (Not that it means make every moment of your life part of the ‘hunt”… just be open/receptive to the possibilty that it can happen anywhere and if a spark flies while you’re at the library, or the checkout coutner of the grocery store, etc…. don’t let it pass by.

beyond that.. join activity groups in your local area, volunteer, whatever is available to get out and do something – and you’re bound to meet.. well.. other people there.. including people you might be attracted to ask out.

see how this works? 🙂

good luck.

Rastadreads
    Participant
    October 29, 2017 at 12:00 am #154379

Richiro makes a great point, it doesn’t just have to be at a bar. You can meet people anywhere! Library, coffee shop, if you like concerts go by yourself even, I do it all the time and usually end up meeting girls. Even a few times girls who were also by themselves. Don’t limit yourself to just a bar.

Participant
    October 29, 2017 at 1:16 pm #154389

I’m at a large southern school and they only way to meet women is in class, frat parties (very easy), or at bars. At least from my perspective. I’m in comp sci also. I went to one frat party, and had my first kiss. It’s incredibly easy there.