Taking the Next Step

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Taking the Next Step

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 10:19 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

jamwsc
    Participant
    May 29, 2016 at 11:29 pm #101607
    Taking the Next Step

Hi everyone, I’m new here because I have a situation I really haven’t been able to figure out myself.

I just returned from studying abroad, & while I was there I met a girl who also goes to my home institution. She was in 1 of my classes, & I didn’t really start talking to her until the end of the semester. When I did, I realized that I should’ve talked to her sooner because she had everything I’ve ever wanted. We’ve talked every day since then, and have become good friends.

The problem is: she’s going abroad the next two semesters & I’m staying home. I’ve been flirting in a friendly way since I heard this but not allowing myself to take the next step because I don’t want to get in the way of her future experiences. She lives about an hour away from me at home, so we won’t be seeing each other too often this summer but we’ll certainly be staying in touch. I can’t tell if she feels the same way I do about her, because she might be acting hesitant for the same reasons I am.

jamwsc
    Participant
    May 29, 2016 at 11:29 pm #101608

I’m willing to have a long distance relationship with her, but I can’t say I’m not nervous about it. I haven’t met a girl like her before, and I don’t want to screw it up; so before I do I wanted to run it by you all and see if you have any thoughts on what steps I could take.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

JarodOner
    JarodOner
    Participant
    May 31, 2016 at 8:56 am #101624

Hang out with her.

There’s nothing wrong with going out on a limb and seeing what you guys end up doing once you’re around one another. If the chemistry is there you’ll know.

Once you know, make your next move from there.

LuxuriousLux
    Participant
    June 1, 2016 at 12:41 am #101753

I always trust my gut, but that’s just who I am. If this girl is someone who seems interested in you, as you are of her, then take a chance and try the long distance. My current boyfriend was in Germany studying abroad around this time, last year and we got through it. Now, we’ve hit a different rough patch. My point here is that you can make this kind of thing work, you both have to put in the energy though. I hope this helps 🙂

Andy1144
    Participant
    June 3, 2016 at 10:41 am #102088

Nothing wrong in letting the girl know 🙂

Anonymous
    June 5, 2016 at 12:08 am #102180

definitely let her know!!! Have some fun but I would highly recommend to let the idea go of being with her long distance. It’s one thing to have a developed relationship and then someone goes away for awhile. But to try to start a brand new relationship long distance is entirely unrealistic for so many reasons. Have some fun, but then let her go. Nothing wrong with staying in touch and continuing to develop the friendship, but with the idea that there are no strings attached. When she returns, if the timing is right and the feelings are there, then you deal with it then. Stop worrying about screwing anything up. Life itself is unpredictable and full of all kinds of wonderful and horrible surprises. Don’t let fear stop you from risking and living your day with all ya got. All you have is this moment, so go for it. No matter what happens, you’ll be okay!!!! Trust that about yourself!