The female view on online dating

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 6:09 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Itsmejonny
    Itsmejonny
    Participant
    July 24, 2014 at 11:27 am #58129

Hello

I’m just about to launch myself into the online dating thing and fell at the first hurdle! Bit of a long shot, but what the hell am I supposed to write about myself? Do I try to be funny or quirky, or matter-of-fact and just say what I’m looking for, or describe what I enjoy? Do they want some sort of resume? I’m lost – I thought maybe this forum could give me some advice.

I guess that I should avoid ‘text speak’ and gym pics etc, but honestly, I cant think of anything to write that doesn’t sound immensely corny. I am a romantic at heart, but writing that sounds so contrived. I’m not looking for one night stands, but again, it sounds like I’m just telling them what they want to hear. I own a business, but talking about money seems crass. I’m stuck.

I’m sure this topic won’t get past the moderators, but if you’ve dated online in the past, what things piqued your interest in a man’s profile. Please don’t say ‘the pic’ or I’m giving up seeing as I look like Gollum.

Jonny

hopelesspanzy24
    Participant
    July 25, 2014 at 12:29 am #58210

I say be you. Write whatever about yourself that might have similarities to the person you would like to attract. in the end you’d like for someone who would like for who you are, no? Don’t worry about what to put on your profile because not only do you have to be bait you must also be the fisherman (: hope this helps in someway or another good luck ps make sure you are confident !

Itsmejonny
    Itsmejonny
    Participant
    July 25, 2014 at 11:50 am #58236

It does help, thank you 🙂

montanawild69
    Participant
    July 27, 2014 at 1:10 pm #58338

i have been on an online dating site for a little bit, and obviously what attracts me the most is a good sense of humor. “good sense of humor” is a fairly subjective term, but even if not every girl finds you funny, you will attract the ones who do (and that’s what you want). i like when guys tell me things about themselves that are a little more personal, i dont enjoy talking to guys who define themselves by their work or their travels and such.
    be open and honest. even ridiculously honest.

the guy that i liked the most in my months of being on the site is definitely not as physically attractive as the guys i normally go out with. but the guy i normally go out with suck hahaha, and his personality really made me fall head over heals (he doesnt like me back though lol, figure that). his profile was kind of silly and serious at the same time. i like to see someone who can make jokes about himself but still show me that he is seriously looking for someone to spend time with.

Anonymous
    July 27, 2014 at 2:17 pm #58348

listen…you are over thinking this…whatever you write, is always changeable….that is part of the learning process, so my first piece of advice is to look at it as just some fun and stop letting your need for perfection get in the way on this one. Second, whether you look like gollum or not does not matter. Studies have shown over and over that women are seeking stability and a man who takes amazing care of them ABOVE AND BEYOND what he looks like. Your kindness, goofiness, stability, treating her with honor and respect and YOU connecting to the amazingness that you are ON THE INSIDE is what will attract many many women who wish to be treated well. Women tend to be pretty intuitive and if she feels that the guy is not very confident in himself, she will pass right on by. So whatever you do present, be confident in it. So what if you are corny! That can be quite refreshing! Talk about how you play in life (what activities you enjoy), talk about a quirk that you have,

Anonymous
    July 27, 2014 at 2:23 pm #58349

talk about your idea of what a good conversation is, talk about some things on your bucket list….I’ve experimented quite a bit and found that the most popular way I presented myself was starting out saying…..”i view life like a theme park. Some rides will make you laugh and some will make you throw up, but in the end, it’s all just an adventure” (something to that effect) and then my headline said “spooning or food fight?” I got a TON of responses! Guys looooved my playfulness and the questions….the questions I would ask would be things like “would you rather be a world traveler or never be able to leave colorado but be given $10 million dollars?” Women love a guy who asks creative questions that makes them think a bit. It’s fun! Hopefully this will give you more ideas. Bottom line….you gotta like yourself on the inside and stop connecting to your need to present your perfectly. Just be you and trust that there will be women who will be attracted to you for just that!