Thought I was dating someone…he thought we were "just friends"

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 7:27 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

braelle
    Participant
    June 24, 2014 at 12:53 pm #56062

I met a guy on a dating site and we started “dating” at the beginning of April.. We both have one child each from past relationships. I didn’t want to find myself getting hurt in this relationship so I kept my distance and let him do most of the plan making. Within a few weeks we were hanging out 3-5 nights per week and I started staying at his house regularly after a month or so. Things were going well, he got a puppy soon after we met and he was even doing things like calling the dog “your puppy” when he was misbehaving. He would visit me at my cafe job and make lovesick eyes at me to the point that the members of my staff picked up on the fact that he liked me. He would text while he was at work and call regularly. We ate together and were always paying for each other’s food (we alternated who paid)

We agreed that we wouldn’t introduce our kids to one another until we really knew this was going to go somewhere. Then about a week ago, a few things happened. He tried on two separate

braelle
    Participant
    June 24, 2014 at 12:54 pm #56063

…occasions to bring his daughter in to my store to meet me while I was working but wires kept getting crossed and it never happened. At the same time, when I would come spend the night at his house he would pass out on the couch early and come to bed later.

Something didn’t seem right to me so I told him that I liked him and that I wanted to know how he felt and he said he thought we were just friends and he was sorry if he was sending mixed signals and ever since there has been no contact. What happened?!

When I laughed at his jokes he would say things like “I really need to be with a girl who just thinks I’m funny” or something along those lines. He was much sounding like we were in a relationship up until I mentioned liking him…and then nothing. I’m afraid I’ll never hear from him again and I’m not sure what went wrong.

We were having sex, but he wasn’t overly affectionate–that’s the only clue I have that I was misreading signals and he wasn’t just leading me on.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  braelle.

Shae
    Participant
    July 6, 2014 at 7:58 pm #56804

Hi Braelle,

I’m sorry that you’re going through this. Guys are so ugh lol. It seems like maybe things were moving too fast for him and he backed out when he realized it. Maybe he got little afraid of the seriousness of everything. If you haven’t done so I think it’s best to call him and set up a lunch date or coffee date where you guys can really talk things out and I hope it works out in your favor.

I apologize that you’re going through this but remember what’s meant for you will be for you and if it’s not him, I promise when you meet the man that is for you he will make everything you’ve been through more than worth it.

With love,
    Shae