Was I out of line for putting my safety first?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 10:18 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

CAgirl94
    Participant
    December 1, 2014 at 7:18 pm #68505

Okay so I met this guy online and we had been talking for a few days. He lives in another state but he said he would come visit. I finally learned his last name and googled him. He had been honest about where he lived, his name, his hobbies, and his profession but completely lied about his hometown and where he went to school. THEN I found he had been arrested before for a misdemeanor crime and failure to appear in court. I didn’t want to completely write him off so I asked if he’d ever been arrested or done anything crazy before and told him honesty was important to me. He denied anything and said he was completely clean. I then told him my safety was very important and I asked permission to do a background check on him. He completely flipped and said I was out of line for asking that and it was “very low of me” and “bad as they come”. I was just trying to be safe and if he had been honest with me I would have been cool about it. Was it wrong for me to ask for a background check?

Confusedyoungman
    Participant
    December 15, 2014 at 8:42 am #69150

No. You did the right thing. He should have been honest with you in the first place.

snowwhite0214
    Participant
    December 15, 2014 at 12:39 pm #69180

Absolutely not! In 2014 you have to be safe; I agree with the previous post – he should have been honest with you. How can he expect to start a relationship if he’s not going to be honest?

seekinghelp
    Participant
    December 20, 2014 at 9:16 pm #69507

Absolutely not. Your safety is first priority. Any guy that has a genuine interest in you are cares about you will understand that without it even needing to be brought up.

Tonic
    Participant
    December 21, 2014 at 9:45 am #69512

Definitely made the right decision. Safety should always be your first priority. For me personally if a chick felt the need to do a check on me id be more than happy for her to as i have absolutely nothing to hide, and id imagine most people would feel the same way.

Stay safe.