Was I out of line for putting my safety first?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 10:10 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

CAgirl94
    Participant
    December 1, 2014 at 7:45 pm #68506

Okay so I met this guy online and we had been talking for a few days. He lives in another state but he said he would come visit. I finally learned his last name and googled him. He had been honest about where he lived, his name, his hobbies, and his profession but completely lied about his hometown and where he went to school. THEN I found he had been arrested before for a misdemeanor crime and failure to appear in court. I didn’t want to completely write him off so I asked if he’d ever been arrested or done anything crazy before and told him honesty was important to me. He denied anything and said he was completely clean. I then told him my safety was very important and I asked permission to do a background check on him. He completely flipped and said I was out of line for asking that and it was “very low of me” and “bad as they come”. I was just trying to be safe and if he had been honest with me I would have been cool about it. Was it wrong for me to ask for a background check?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  CAgirl94.

Confused_too_Long
    Participant
    December 2, 2014 at 9:46 pm #68573

No. You are completely in the right. Remember the “Craigslist Killer”.

Risa12
    Risa12
    Participant
    December 2, 2014 at 10:09 pm #68575

It could have been a case of mistaken identity, but I doubt it if he was so against a background check. Don’t worry about it and move on. Safety first.

b4nd17
    Participant
    December 3, 2014 at 12:10 am #68580

Definately not. Unless you already have a bonafide relationship with true love with the dude, there’s no fault in watching out for your own safety. You can never be too careful these days.

CAgirl94
    Participant
    December 3, 2014 at 8:29 am #68578

Well I saw his mugshot, so it was definitely him. haha

elderwaist
    elderwaist
    Participant
    December 10, 2014 at 1:33 pm #69006

You are completely in the right and everyone should do it!

ksuapilot
    Participant
    December 10, 2014 at 2:50 pm #69035

As a male, you are 100% right. He lied to you and that says a lot about his character.