What to do when you look at least 10 years younger than you actually are?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments

• CyKings
    Participant
    October 17, 2016 at 1:06 pm #114334

I look at least 10 years younger than I actually am. This makes it hard for me to date people in my age group because they look much older than me and I simply am not attracted to them. And by look much older, I mean a lot older. But I’m worried that finding someone who is 10 years younger than me may be impossible if they find out what my age actually is … even though I appear a lot younger.

Should I hide my actual age? Or should I be upfront about it?

tan
    Participant
    October 27, 2016 at 11:06 am #115560

I have your problem, but I’m probably more extreme than you.

I have been pegged anywhere between 17 and 22 years old. I will be 34 in two months. I get carded for alcohol every time I buy it, and I have even been carded buying a lighter within the past couple years.

I think you’re worrying waaaay too much about it. Although, you say you’re not attracted to older-looking people. For me, I’ve found looking young has opened up a new world of possibilities, rather than closed doors. Basically women 18-45 are open to me.

This is what I do: I hide my age on dating services that allow it. On dating services that don’t let you hide it, I say I’m 25. It’s a happy medium between my real age, the age I look, and will get you listed on people’s searches that are searching for younger people than what you might be. Usually “age” preference has nothing to do with actual age, but how old they think someone that “age” should look. So if you look 25, say, I don’t it’s unreasonable to list yourself..

tan
    Participant
    October 27, 2016 at 3:04 pm #115561

…so you come up in those searches.

This is a caveat to all this, however. Once I have engaged someone (regardless of their age), and after we have started talking and/or actually met, I reveal my real age. They usually ask once you’re in person, and I often have to show my driver’s license to prove myself because they don’t believe I’m 34.

At this point though, you’re already in door. Older women find it exciting/hot to be with a guy that looks so much younger and younger women find it exciting/hot to be with a guy that looks their age but is wiser in experience. It’s win/win.

Use it to your advantage, dude.

strychnine
    Participant
    October 29, 2016 at 5:28 am #115750

Dont worry about it . I’m a guy who’s dated women 12 years older than me . Don’t worry

Anonymous
    October 30, 2016 at 9:37 am #115773

Im a guys whos dated woman 10 years under than me. So its okay!

beth621
    Participant
    October 30, 2016 at 3:47 pm #115787

I’m a woman who looks 10 years younger than I am…and I usually date much younger because I too have nothing in common with guys my age. I don’t lie online about my age. My biggest issue is alot of younger guys want kids….I don’t…making it very difficult to find a serious relationship…a problem older guys/younger girls never have.

Cofrex
    Participant
    October 31, 2016 at 3:13 am #115788

It is okay. It is nothing new.

merill
    merill
    Participant
    October 31, 2016 at 2:47 pm #115900

hey, I also look younger than I am. Yes, it is a problem for me to be with guys my age because they think I’m not even legal. Surprisingly (or disgustingly) older guys give more attention to me. May sound a bit weird but I think opening the topic of your age in discussions (somehow, like “duh I get carded everytime I try to enter to a bar!”) can actually help. Well, people ask my age when the conversation continues anyway.

I think looking younger is an advantage, no matter how hard it is now. As you get older, you will realise the benefits(relevant but still) it brings.

EmiDa899
    Participant
    November 5, 2016 at 9:30 am #116465

It is completely ok…my advice find someone younger and you will enjoy

josefina1946
    Participant
    November 9, 2016 at 7:04 pm #116948
    Reply To: What to do when you look at least 10 years younger than you actually are?

The age difference does not matter if they are both mature.

mrmystery
    Participant
    November 21, 2016 at 11:39 am #118020
    Reply To: What to do when you look at least 10 years younger than you actually are?

I wouldn’t worry about it. I look younger also,( I’m 39 but have been mistaken for a college student) and it’s never bothered me. The only time I think it would be an issue is if someone accused you of lying about your age. FYI I think lying is not a good idea.