Why Do You Want a Partner?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 10:29 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

osubsu
    Participant
    March 17, 2016 at 11:34 am #95906

Sounds like a dumb question but we are all 50+ here. Starting a family is not a motivation now. Presumably most people are looking for companionship. They don’t want to be alone all the time living in an empty house.

I find that I am the opposite. I love to have company to do things with (at home or out on the town or on trips) but day-to-day I am very happy living alone and enjoy having the house all to myself. I like quiet evenings alone where I don’t have to talk to anyone. I don’t mind sleeping alone. It’s almost like a permanent dating relationship with the same person would be ideal. Very few want that though. It’s not a fear or commitment or a desire to play the field. It’s really just not wanting someone around all the time as would be the case in marriage.

Anyone else like this?

osubsu
    Participant
    March 18, 2016 at 10:30 am #96020

In my experience a lot of people who end up alone had something in their past that changed them and living alone is not their natural state but one they ended up in and now can’t easily go back to being in a relationship. My entire life I have never been social or relationship oriented but I grew up in a highly dysfunctional family with an alcoholic mother. Had it not been for that who knows?

As for companionship I like it when I like it. Between my childhood and my highly stressful marriage I came to associate “home” with stress. Home was never a safe haven or place of love and support. I know that’s why now I prefer to come home to a quiet house with no one in it but me. It’s nice to go out some or even have someone over but before I go to bed I like to be alone again and I like to wake up to silence and not have to talk first thing in the morning. Not sure how that would work in a relationship…

forestrunner190
    Participant
    September 2, 2016 at 9:05 pm #110469

Proverbs 21:19 – It is better to live alone in the desert, than with an angry and contentious spouse. (Actually it says “wife”, but I thought I’d gender neutralize it.) I’m almost the same way… I certainly have no problem being alone. There could be many reasons why you choose to like being alone — but I’m no shrink. As for myself, I’ve given it a lot of thought and I chalk it up to the fact that I am just a very introverted person. It’s not a disorder.. it’s just the way I am. Susan Cain’s book is great about this topic if you haven’t read it yet.. or just watch her TED talk.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  forestrunner190. Reason: typo