Why is my best friend hurting me?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2017 at 10:25 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

kkat00
    Participant
    March 25, 2015 at 12:05 am #75968

I like my best friend, and about a week or two ago I told him. He said he didn’t feel the same way, but his actions and words towards me said differently. After discussing it with him, I told him I wouldn’t hold anything against him. Now it’s back to normal, he calls me every night and we talk about random things but recently he has been talking about a lot of other girls and I don’t get why. If he knows how I feel about him, why would he put me in this position.. I’ve told him various times that I don’t want to hear about it but he continues to do this to me, to the point where I don’t want to talk to him anymore because it hurts too much. Why is he doing this?

ConfusedConfucius
    Participant
    March 25, 2015 at 1:22 pm #75992

I think he is trying to say that he just wants to be friends. He doesn’t want a relationship with you. I think you need to move on and find a boyfriend or best friend that appreciates you. He doesn’t really sound like a best friend if he doesn’t care about your feelings.

Who know!? When you start dating, he might realize that he misses you. BUT don’t expect that.

delores
    Participant
    March 25, 2015 at 5:55 pm #76038

I know this sounds harsh, but he is using you. He probably feels like you’re kind and safe to talk to, so you’re his audience for things he is too insecure to tell his male friends. It doesn’t mean he isn’t your friend, because we probably all use our friends sometimes without meaning to, but it DOES mean that even if you guys dated, he wouldn’t be a good boyfriend right now. You deserve someone who will tell you and show you how much he cares.
    You don’t have to be mean to him, but make it a point to talk to and hang out with other friends. Be less available to him. Maybe try a new hobby. This might appear shallow, but really work on looking the way you want to look and feeling good about yourself–be really self-absorbed for a while–focus on school or work or family, instead of this guy. Be selfish and be healthy–it’ll distract you from your feelings for him, too.

lovechocolate
    Participant
    March 26, 2015 at 1:37 am #76046

I like my best friend, and about a week or two ago I told him. He said he didn’t feel the same way, but his actions and words towards me said differently. After discussing it with him, I told him I wouldn’t hold anything against him. Now it’s back to normal, he calls me every night and we talk about random things but recently he has been talking about a lot of other girls and I don’t get why. If he knows how I feel about him, why would he put me in this position.. I’ve told him various times that I don’t want to hear about it but he continues to do this to me, to the point where I don’t want to talk to him anymore because it hurts too much. Why is he doing this?

He is doing it because you told him you wouldn’t hold anything against him. He thinks you are fine with him talking about girls because to him, the issue of you liking him is over