Even though more women are living their lives openly as lesbians, it’s still a task to find viable candidates for successful relationships. So is the premise of this list.
At DatingAdvice.com, we feel you should have every opportunity to meet other ladies who prefer ladies. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the top six ways to meet lesbian women.
1. Online dating.
It’s the dawn of a new era where your computer acts as a portal to finding Miss Right. There are dozens of online dating sites that cater to lesbians.
- If you’re looking for casual hookups, then check out LesbianPersonals.com.
- If you’re in the market for deeper, more meaningful relationships, then head over to OurTime.com, a site dedicated to mature lesbian singles seeking long-term partners.
- Other sites we like to include are Pinkcupid.com, Girlfriendsmeet.com, LDate.com and OneGoodLove.com.
- Lesbian dating site Planetsappho.com advises: “It’s important to be as open about yourself as you can when you create your profile. The more information your provide about yourself, the more likely you are to be contacted by other members who are just right for you.
Those odds sound good to me, so what are you waiting for? Go to our review of 2013’s best lesbian dating sites.
2. Community groups.
Getting out into your community and taking part in events and groups are great ways to meet other lesbian women.
- Check out Meetup.com’s lesbian portal at Lesbian.meetup.com. There you can search for meetings and offline clubs in local communities around the world geared toward lesbian-only members. Everything from a knitting circle to a book club or cooking class is there.
- Read your local alt-weekly magazine for information on lesbian happenings.
- Large cities like Manhattan have a strong lesbian community, such as The Center (Gaycenter.org) and The Center in San Francisco (Sfcenter.org).
- According to The Williams Institute at UCLA, “An estimated 3.5 percent of adults in the U.S. identify as lesbian, gay or bisexual.” That adds up to about 10 million Americans!
“Don’t be afraid to step outside
of your comfort zone.”
3. Friends of friends.
Your inner circle is a surefire way to meet other lesbians. Ask your gay and straight friends to think about the females they know and have them set up a blind date or group date to get to know this possible love interest.
Most likely your friends are friends with women who are similar to you.
- “The social proximity effect” is a philosophy that the chances of two people meeting is directly connected to how many contacts they share. Get out of your comfort zone and get social. The more people in your network, the better your chances of finding Miss Right.
- Be open to blind dating. It can be scary walking into a restaurant and not knowing exactly who you’re about to sit down to dinner with, but blind dating is a great way to meet other lesbians. Be open to it and trust that your friends know what they’re doing.
There are dozens of companies that organize lesbian-only vacations, with cruises being one of the most popular.
- Set sail on the high seas with a few friends and be open to meeting fellow females who are there to just have a great time or find a life partner. If nothing else, you can work on your tan, drink fancy cocktails and make a few new friends.
- According to Allthingslesbian.com, “Lesbian cruises have also become pretty popular in recent years. These are organized for lesbians exclusively and many long-term love relationships have been born from these cruises. The ship will be filled with gay women for you to meet and interact with.”
- Check out Olivia Lesbian Travel (Olivia.com) for information on cruises, resorts and vacation packages geared specifically toward lesbians.
- We also like Discoversweet.com, which offers lesbian travel with social and environmental awareness.
5. Dance clubs and bars.
Go to your favorite search engine and type in “(insert city) and lesbian bars.” Unless you live in a teeny, tiny town, chances are you’ll get hits for local dance clubs and bars that cater specifically to lesbian women.
- According to Allthingslesbian.com, “There is the usual lesbian bar scene. These can be fun dalliances, but most often they don’t produce the type of setting to find someone for a serious relationship.” You might not meet Miss Right, but you can look for Miss Right Now and have a bit of fun.
- If nothing else, support your fellow lesbians. A user on TheFrisky.com said, “I also like to hit up lesbian bars because I think it’s important to support my local gay establishments. In New York City, gay bars (i.e. bars that tend to be catered more toward gay men) outnumber lesbian bars by about five to one.”
6. Lesbian-only events.
Check your local newspaper or do another online search to find lesbian happenings around your area. Many cities and towns have gay pride festivals among many other events.
- There are also businesses that have special gay-friendly events, like Disneyland’s unofficial Gay Days.
- Don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone – it’s rare to meet your forever Miss Right by sitting on the couch and not engaging with the outside world.
- Check out Curve magazine’s “Personals” section. It’s free to join, free to search and free to reply. They tout, “Search millions of singles completely for free!” The site also offers information on events like “Single Women’s Weekend” and singles groups.
Chances are you meet tons of women each week, but how many of these are lesbians and open to a relationship? Probably not many unless you’re looking in the right places.
That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the top six ways to meet lesbian women. So read up and then check out our reviews of the best lesbian dating sites.
Photo source: flickr.com.