Advice on home furniture and organization as a modern dating adult

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    July 7, 2019 at 3:25 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    EliteSingles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

dabufora
    dabufora
    Participant
    June 16, 2019 at 12:21 pm #202206

So just to be honest, I haven’t had “normal” relationships over the last 10 years (I’m over 35) due to substance-fueled abuse (of me physically and emotionally) and addiction (on my part too), and fighting my depression from loneliness with shopping (I’m well-paid but now heavily in debt) made things worse. However I’ve found someone who is different (never touched substances) and seems better but I’m not sure my home situation is up to par.

For practical reasons, I have a twin bed with a book headboard next to a lamp drawer that has served all of my night/morning needs; I’ve had women over, only a few asked about the setup, but I know it’s not normal. I know I need a bigger bed and probably a normal headboard, but I’m wondering if a full-size bed is enough (a king will not be practical until I get a house), or if you as a woman dislike the idea of a book board (I can think of a reason why but it hasn’t been a problem yet).

Also ditching things I don’t need… advice for living room

dabufora
    dabufora
    Participant
    June 16, 2019 at 12:27 pm #202207

^ ran out of space above (character limit), but my place is basically a book/movie/computer/game haven (maybe not for a normal geek’s man-cave), I rarely touch a lot of it (it was going to go into a gaming center in the basement of a house when I got one), so I’ll probably have to ditch most of it if I bring someone into my life with children who is far more normal than me.

Since I don’t visit people often due to not really growing up socially normally and being kind of a fringe culture person (nevermind trying to avoid substance abuse with myself and others), I’m just not that clued in on “normal” expectations for the home. I honestly can’t afford to make it upper-middle class “nice”, but I at least want something adequate that isn’t worth mocking by a love interest or losing a partner or dates out of.

I suppose I just need to simplify. Seriously if you’re a lady over 25 I’d like to know your opinion on nice or adequate furniture expectations for a living room and 2nd bedroom…