Any way to salvage this?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Any way to salvage this?

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2018 at 11:17 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Jaker35
    Jaker35
    Participant
    August 21, 2018 at 7:29 pm #182151
    Any way to salvage this?

So, “met” this girl online last week. I liked her pic and she had liked mine as well, so I reached out and said hi. She gave me compliments on my looks and smile. We had some good exchanges and I was able make her “laugh so hard”. Would normally get the number, but I had a busy week with family birthdays and work. This all took place over a couple of days. Maybe 3 or 4 exchanges in total.
    Last exchange, she was asking me about my last serious relationship and if I ever dated a girl with a child (has a kid) and wanted to know my thoughts. Not wanting to get into a super long exchange I was teasing her a bit about the “inquisition” and said I had dated and my thoughts…I said there was a long and short answer to it, but that I was open. What I meant was, I’m in my late 30’s and could be ready for kids at any point. I guess she wasn’t happy with my answer or maybe my teasing put her off, but she didn’t respond. It’s been about 5 days. Thought I might reach out and apologize. Should I?

starcrossed
    starcrossed
    Participant
    August 21, 2018 at 10:20 pm #182155

What do you have to lose? A lot of miscommunication can happen during text exchange. It’s possible she misread what you said or just has a terrible sense of humor. If it’s the latter you should probably find someone who appreciates your teasing, but it couldn’t hurt to reach out to her once more. If she doesn’t respond, you’re right where you were before. If she does, maybe you’ll hit it off.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    August 22, 2018 at 10:53 pm #182294

Mistakes

1. “Would normally get the number, but I had a busy week with family birthdays and work.”
    You’re talking apples and oranges here. Your busy week as nothing to do with asking her for her phone number.
    No is so busy they can’t squeeze off a text. Either you feared being rejected or you’re not seriously interested in her.

2. “Not wanting to {get into a super long exchange} I was (teasing) her a bit about the “inquisition”
    When a single mother asks a man about his last serious relationship and his experience dating other mothers she’s (screening).
    Single mothers don’t want to waste time with guys who avoid (serious issues and concerns) they have.
    After all they have to consider their children when dating.

“…she didn’t respond. It’s been about 5 days.” – No response is a response.
    Online dating sites are a competition for suitors. You have to know you weren’t the (only guy) trying to score points with her.
    She has decided to move forward with other prospects.

tyler
    tyler
    Participant
    September 9, 2018 at 9:52 pm #183814

I generally avoid teasing in text form unless I’m messaging a very close friend who understands my humor because Ive found that u leave yourself open for all kinds of interpretation that wouldn’t occur in person

Joxen1
    Joxen1
    Participant
    September 9, 2018 at 10:01 pm #183815

I agree. If I am making a sarcastic comment or joke via text id make sure to try and put a haha or hehe at the end to try and clearly convey my intent…