Are men approaching women in real life less nowadays?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    June 6, 2020 at 7:41 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    EliteSingles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    Adult Friend Finder Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

T4816
    T4816
    Participant
    March 31, 2020 at 9:36 pm #232415

I’ve been approaching women in real life a good amount the past year or so because I stopped using Tinder, Bumble, and other apps like that.

But I can’t help but notice that a lot of women seem shocked that I just confidently walked up and started talking to them without any reason other than I thought they were cute.

Got me wondering… are men approaching women in real life less nowadays with the rise of apps?

Men: Do you approach women? Why or why not?

tephros
    tephros
    Participant
    April 1, 2020 at 5:19 am #232420

Women were usually shocked when I approached them in random places where they wouldn’t expect a guy to hit on them back in… 2005 or so, undergrad. If it’s a party or a bar, they weren’t shocked.

I’ve done it most recently at the gym hot tub months ago, about 3 times. It would be a good place if any of the women were single, but I got a free massage out of it one time at least. It’s not like in college where most of the women you meet are single. At least on bumble or tinder you know they’re actually looking for something and probably think you’re attractive and sound like somebody they’d like. Sure it’s like 50/50 that the date will go well, versus higher if you knew them in real life before, but it still seems easier.

I mean, online dating has been around as long as I’ve been dating, and I’m not young. But back in the AOL days it was considered weird. I’d say yes, I approach IRL a lot less now.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    April 1, 2020 at 1:35 pm #232477

Yes, many men especially young guys have chosen the cowardly approach to dating.
    In fact when they do invite a woman to go out they preface it by inviting her to “hang out”.
    I assume it helps them handle the rejection better if it’s not proposed as an actual DATE.

This forum as well as many other dating forums are filled with questions from would-be daters asking:
    “How can I tell if she/he is into me?” or “What does it mean when…etc.?”
    Everyone these days is looking for SIGNS because they all want a “sure thing” before pursuing anyone.

The reason why more guys hit on girls in nightclubs, bars, and online is because women tend to expect it.
    On the other hand striking up a conversation at the grocery store, gas station, bank, or at McDonald’s is unexpected.
    The belief by most guys is these women are strictly focused on handling their transaction.
    Therefore hitting on them now is rude. They fear rejection.

In a world with over 7 billion people rejection just means: Next!

Pheonixphantom
    Pheonixphantom
    Participant
    April 11, 2020 at 12:08 am #232706

I too am disgusted by how.dominant online dating has become.in our culture

jackryan664
    jackryan664
    Participant
    April 11, 2020 at 5:52 pm #232720

I would say so but women still appreciate the in person

AdrParkinson
    AdrParkinson
    Participant
    April 14, 2020 at 4:08 pm #232798

I’ve never approached a girl like that. Aside from my own social awkwardness, I feel like I’d be intruding in someone else’s space without permission.

Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    April 19, 2020 at 2:52 pm #232944

Are men approaching women in real life less nowadays with the rise of apps? I would say so

josephmania
    josephmania
    Participant
    April 19, 2020 at 3:23 pm #232949

Nothing beats face to face

Johncoe
    Johncoe
    Participant
    May 1, 2020 at 4:42 pm #233251
    Reply To: Are men approaching women in real life less nowadays?

I would say yes I guess they are it takes a lot of courage I think to be able to go up to a women or someone you dont know as a lot of men i assume would think that they dont want to be bothered and on dating apps you know they are on there to date so it’s kind of a green light okay shes interested in talking. On the other hand it is better to talk in person I think

lindaklamut
    lindaklamut
    Participant
    May 1, 2020 at 5:45 pm #233256
    Reply To: Are men approaching women in real life less nowadays?

I think its wonderful that you do that. Shows that you are real. I think we are so used to this online business, that we have started to mistrust a real person, like woman or men don’t know what to do with that. Also, their isn’t the illusion when its not online, you are right there! I think you should continue doing this, theres alot of people ready for real.