Boyfriend is stressed out

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2018 at 1:04 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

unic0rn97
    unic0rn97
    Participant
    February 22, 2018 at 7:40 pm #166238

So my boyfriend and I have been going out for six months and he’s a full-time college student with student loans and a part time job. He makes just enough to cover his rent and is completely financially independent of his parents. It’s his final year and in the last couple of weeks, he has been so stressed out. It started out when one day, i was telling him about my roommate who was complaining about her parents not wanting to pay for a holiday AND a new phone. He got really upset and launched into a rant about how miserable he has been the last five years-trying to keep a roof over his head and starving some weeks-and yet there are others like my roommate with the luxury to complain about such things. I burst into tears as i could see how genuinely upset he was. It’s been a hectic couple of weeks for us, meeting each other’s families for the first time. And he normally works most his hours during the weekend but because of all these events, he’s been working all through the week…..

unic0rn97
    unic0rn97
    Participant
    February 22, 2018 at 7:57 pm #166239

…..on top of college and assignments. He’s started smoking cigarettes and having to pull all-nighters to get his college work done. He’s been short tempered- not liking to repeat himself and irritable. I pointed this out to him and he says it’s because he’s been smoking alot and he hasnt had one in a few hours because he doesnt want to smoke around me (not something i have ever asked him to do) and its making him irritable. We’ve also not spent the night together in 3 weeks. I’m doing my best to be supportive and understanding-making him dinners and not pressuring him to meet up unless it suits him. He’s apologized for not having time for me and promises its temporary. I think we’ve something good here but im just such a big baby- he is nowhere near snappy but if he is even a little irritable, i take it to heart. I also cry after he leaves because he cant stay the night as he has work. I have not put all this on him as he’s under so much pressure. It’s only for a few more months as..

unic0rn97
    unic0rn97
    Participant
    February 23, 2018 at 9:22 am #166240

..college will be over then. I’m someone that gets stressed when someone i care about is stressed. I worry about him constantly-he has these lines on his face that he didnt have before. I guess im typing all this because, 1. I want to help him but i can’t and it’s frustrating and 2. It’s taking a toll on me too but i can’t let it show because i love him dearly and the last thing he needs to deal with is a needy girlfriend right now.

I know there isnt a quick fix to this. I know I need to just be understanding and patient because he is doing nothing but trying to better himself. I know he’d do the same for me and i know this all just temporary.
    I just wish I knew how to stop being upset over this.

Thanks for reading this ridiculously long post and any advice/thoughts are greatly appreciated 🙂