Dating apps freaky stories

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    August 8, 2018 at 2:50 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

RayMark31
    RayMark31
    Participant
    August 8, 2018 at 7:37 pm #181144

I’m looking for freaky/creepy stories from people who tried dating apps, Search women by ID, and other dating agencies. My younger brother just signed up to multiple apps including Tinder. We all tried to discourage him and told him he doesn’t need to resort to those to move on. The only reason he’s joining those is to find a buffer after his recent break up. Maybe if he reads those freaky stories he would sign out of those sites and focus on his college education instead.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    August 9, 2018 at 12:28 am #181145

The same people or freaks/creeps one might meet online also exist “offline”.
    They existed long before there was an Internet, online dating sites, and apps.
    Ultimately it’s not “how” you meet but rather “who” you meet that counts.
    Nothing happens until (you) say: “yes” to someone.

Online dating sites and apps are nothing more than a (tool) for meeting new people.
    Much like a (fork) is a tool for eating. It can be used to eat a garden salad or a slice of double fudge chocolate cake.
    However no obese person would ever blame their (fork) for their weight gain!
    And yet people who have bad online dating experiences will blame the whole online dating industry for (their) choices!

Each of us (chooses) our own friends, lovers, and spouse.
    Each of us has our mate selection process/must haves list.
    Each of us has our boundaries and “deal breakers”.

Anyone who is having one bad dating experience after another needs to reexamine their “mate selection process”!

Coach_Michael21
    Coach_Michael21
    Participant
    August 9, 2018 at 10:59 am #181171

Online apps and sites in many ways are the “new normal” in meeting potential partners. In the past decade, a lot of the stigma of going online to meet people has vanished, and now many couples and marriages are starting this way. Yes, there are some scammers and fakes out there, but as DashingScorpio said, they exist offline as well. It sounds like your brother is really interested in meeting someone. Instead of discouraging him, why not do the opposite and encourage him to use all means and tools at his disposal to try and find his next girlfriend? he will be happy, and it will save you guys from engaging in needless conflict over this issue.

As for the “focusing on college education” part, certainly there is enough time in his day for him to focus on both goals, yes?

RayMark31
    RayMark31
    Participant
    August 9, 2018 at 7:04 pm #181255

Your reply was very well written but it doesn’t really answer my question specifically. Maybe instead of looking for scary stories, I’ll just let him know about some frightful experiences people have gone through when trying to find dates in a short amount of time or through shortcuts. Thanks!

RayMark31
    RayMark31
    Participant
    August 10, 2018 at 9:17 am #181256

For Coach_Michael21,

Me and my family know my brother well. This is the best course of action, in our opinion. Maybe not entirely discouraging but at least reminding and warning him to steer clear of shady strangers or the dangers of hasty dating. Thanks though!

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    August 11, 2018 at 3:31 pm #181396

Whether you meet someone new online or offline they’re still a stranger.
    Just because one meets someone online doesn’t mean they have to rush or are taking shortcuts.
    They’re simply giving themselves more “options” for meeting that special person.
    It’s up to your brother to have his own (mate selection/screening process) and “must haves list”.

A simple Google search will give examples of people who had nightmare experiences with those they met online/offline.
    Truth is when it comes to love and relationships most of us (fail our way) to success.
    It’s rare that anyone hits a homerun their first, second, third, or fourth time up at bat.
    If this were not the case we would all be married to our high school sweethearts!

As I stated earlier it’s not a matter of (where) you meet but rather (who) you meet that counts!
    If your brother knows what (he) wants he can screen out those who aren’t a good fit for him regardless of how they met.
    He just needs to use good commonsense!

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    August 11, 2018 at 3:47 pm #181398

Lastly remember (your brother) is one of “these people” who are on these apps! Is (he) the only quality person???
    I imagine there are many women with friends and family warning them about men on apps such as (your brother) as well.
    There’s a little bit of arrogance some of us have about believing (we) are the only “quality” people on a site/app.

Long ago when eCommerce was first coming into being almost everyone would say they’d never use their credit card number online.
    Today almost everyone has ordered something off Amazon, eBay, reserved a hotel, rental car, or bought airline tickets online with credit cards.

The same thing happened with online dating sites and apps.
    In the beginning it was seen as a way for “desperate people” to meet who couldn’t find someone the conventional way.
    Now there are all types of niche market online dating sites for people of various religions, age groups, races, hobbies/interests. Online dating sites/apps are just a tool for meeting new people!