Girlfriend’s toxic family

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    July 7, 2020 at 7:59 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    EliteSingles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    Adult Friend Finder Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

azusof2
    azusof2
    Participant
    June 30, 2020 at 4:43 am #235204

Hi,

My girlfriend and I have been together for over 2 years now. We are both 22. We are just graduating university, and about to get jobs and live together.

The relationship has been great. However, the problem I’m having is her family is toxic and I don’t know how to approach this. Her parents are really controlling and I’ve developed a grudge against them.

There have been so many times we have had to cancel/postpone our plans just cause her parents need something. For example, they have a 5 year old in school and randomly call my girlfriend to help her do their child’s homework. Mind, her parents have lived in an english-speaking country for over 6 years, yet they don’t speak a lick of it. They would also need my girlfriend to make calls for them, translate documents etc. It doesn’t matter if we have something planned ahead, if her parents call it’s like the whole world stops.

I’ve let her know that this annoys me, but she just says there is nothing she can do. Thoughts?

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    June 30, 2020 at 6:10 pm #235217

“It doesn’t matter if we have something planned ahead, if her parents call it’s like the whole world stops.”

“I’ve let her know that this annoys me, but she just says there is nothing she can do. Thoughts?”

This isn’t about her parents as much as it is about your girlfriend and her unwillingness to say “no”.
    If you expect her to (choose) a 2 year relationship with you over the people who brought her into world…good luck!

The only person you can control is yourself. The ball is in your court.
    You are always where (you) Choose to be.

There are only two ways to experience joy and peace of mind in relationships.
    Either we get what we want or we learn to be happy with what we have.
    Accept them (as is) or move on. The choice is up to us.

No one is “stuck” with anyone! Suffering is optional.

Best wishes!