How do I take our conversations past Small Talk and Physics?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    September 9, 2019 at 9:05 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    EliteSingles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    Adult Friend Finder Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Jodast
    Jodast
    Participant
    May 5, 2019 at 6:57 pm #199908

Background information:

Me: Male, 17, Junior

Her: Female, 17 (assumed), Junior

What I want to do is ask her out, but I feel like I’m dangerously close to the friendzone. I could probably just start a conversation with her during lunch, but it would be kind of annoying to her because I’m just interrupting her studying out of the blue with nothing to talk about. The final option I think I have is this: In my class, if you miss a lab, you have to stay after school with another student who already did the lab and do it then. I’m thinking I could just do that, but there’s a chance we don’t do the lab together.

At this point we have some somewhat short conversations about physics a few times a month via SMS, and I really want to start a casual conversation that we could keep going for a long time. I also ended up helping her make up a lab after class two days ago and that went really well, as we also ended up talking about other subjects and she was very friendly and thankful. Is this a good sign?

Other notes: I can’t drive, and it will be difficult to go on a date but it is possible

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Jodast Jodast.
    dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    May 5, 2019 at 7:29 pm #199911

The only way to keep a casual conversation going for a long time is to have (both people) interested.
    Just because someone is nice to you while you’re (helping them) is NOT a “sign”. It would be foolish to be rude.
    Laughter, smiling, incidental touching, and flirtatious banter or sexual innuendo are real signs.

Fear of rejection is what puts guys in the “friend zone”.
    They pretend like they want friendship and ask girls if they want to “hang out” as opposed to having a date.

There is nothing wrong with establishing a rapport to see if she’s even available or attracted to you.
    If there are any upcoming school events or dances invite her out.
    You might also consider just having lunch together while at school.

Don’t let fear of rejection hold you back.
    In a world with over 7 billion people rejection just means: Next!

At age 17 you need to focus on getting your drivers license whether you date this girl or not.
    Most of your “competition” for women will have theirs whether they own a car or not.

Jodast
    Jodast
    Participant
    May 5, 2019 at 7:52 pm #199913

There were no “touches” or “flirting” or anything, but she did laugh and smile.

Lunch is an option, and there are no more school dances for the year besides senior prom.

aray808311
    aray808311
    Participant
    June 17, 2019 at 8:19 am #202170

haha 17 assumed