How to establish a long-distance connection?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    August 8, 2018 at 2:50 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

Sphyrch
    Sphyrch
    Participant
    July 18, 2018 at 2:16 am #179653

Went on a (first) date with a girl – she turned out to be really cool and the date itself went well. The catch is that I had to move to another city for an extended job stint only a couple of days later. We’ve been texting a lot back and forth and she’s very responsive.

Since I’ve never been in a long distance thing, so it’d be nice to hear from folks who have experience in this. What can/should I do from my end to take this thing forward without coming across that I just want to be friends? I’m not at all looking for a “sure” way to get into an LDR with her, just some tips on how one should proceed in such a situation. Thanks in advance!

KMA
    KMA
    Participant
    July 18, 2018 at 2:21 pm #179731

Keep her updated on what you’re doing. If you saw something that reminds you of her, send her a picture. If you need a second opinion on something, ask her. She will appreciate that. It should give her a hint that you’re interested (more than a friend) despite the distance. Try to keep the conversation going and if you have any inside jokes, refer to them. I know these small chats can seem dull sometimes but it’s through them that you get to know each other more. The more conversations you have, the more both of you will/should be looking forward to seeing each other again.

Hope this helps!

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    July 18, 2018 at 4:21 pm #179759

The only way to establish a LDR is by staying in contact via phone, text, and email periodically not constantly.
    Establishing a friendship first and then if you’re coming out that way see if she can meet you for lunch or whatever.
    Over time you both let your guard down and express how you feel about various things in life and become close.

If it’s meant to be gradually things will evolve from friendship into relationship mode.
    However while you’re in (friendship mode) you have to be open to hearing about her dating exploits and offering her advice.

Personally speaking I’m not a fan of establishing friendships with a “hidden agenda”.
    Generally speaking you end up in the “Friend Zone” and if you do attempt to “make a move” the other person feels betrayed.
    I would tell her I felt sparks between us and hated I had to move away and see how she responds.
    If she states she felt it too set up a date to go back for a visit as soon as possible. This will show her you’re serious.