How to get girls if you’re overweight?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2018 at 8:07 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

jonchernov
    jonchernov
    Participant
    September 23, 2018 at 6:51 pm #185060

Hey I’m 16, 5’8” and 227 pounds. As you can probably imagine I am overweight although I have dropped 16 pounds since August 26th. Anyway my question is how do I get girls if I’m overweight? I’ve heard stuff like “be yourself” or “just lose weight” and generic stuff like that so I really don’t want to hear the same thing. Again I am currently losing weight but it’s gonna take time to get at an attractive weight. I’d really appreciate some tips or a guide of what I should do.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    September 23, 2018 at 7:33 pm #185061

1. Become popular/known for having some talent or skill you show on stage/in public: (Girls love to be with guys who are admired)
    2. Find overweight guys who have girlfriends and ask them how they did it.
    3. Consider dating overweight women! (You could lose weight together.)
    4. Get serious about losing weight and go on a Keto diet or Atkins for a couple months and start walking two miles a day.

The problem most overweight guys have with getting girlfriends is {they want girls who are out of their league}!
    They want a girl who is a “10” while they themselves are a 3 or 4 which is unrealistic unless you’re a RICH fat guy.

It’s unrealistic to look like Jack Black and expect to end up with a girlfriend who looks like Gigi Hadid or Margot Robbie.
    A woman who looks like Chrissy Metz is not going to have a boyfriend who looks like Zac Efron or Ryan Gosling.

That’s life!

Imagine being your ideal mate and then think about the traits you’d want in someone and then cultivate them

jonchernov
    jonchernov
    Participant
    September 23, 2018 at 9:16 pm #185066

Some more background info: I have a really low self esteem and have bad anxiety but I know I’m not but ugly which is why I’m confused. I’d say if I got in shape (not talking just skinny but actually a little muscle) I would be a solid 7.5 or 8. I’m also not fat I’m just a little overweight but again I have no idea when I will get in shape (I’ve lost 16lbs since August 26th so take that as you will). I am severely unhappy with myself and have thought about ending my life. I don’t know why I can’t be accepted by even just friends. My best friend is a total douche to me and he is the only person that does stuff with me out of school. I think you get the idea; my life kinda sucks. On top of that I am super confused on why I’m such an outsider. If that info changes any advice let me know.

John_doe02
    John_doe02
    Participant
    September 24, 2018 at 4:41 pm #185195

I know exactly how you feel, only I was on the opposite side of the spectrum. I was skin and bones, and I had no athletic ability what so ever. When I was about 13 years old I decided to change that. I was the kid that couldn’t do the PE pushups, could hardly run under a 10 minute mile and I never had any girls show any interest in me. Ive gotten into fitness, and it’s changed my life so much. I’m now the fastest person on my cross country team, and one of the top 10 in my division, I have six pack abs, I finally have some meat on my arms, and I just have confidence in myself, and I’ve learned 3 very important things I’ll put in a reply

John_doe02
    John_doe02
    Participant
    September 24, 2018 at 4:50 pm #185207

1. You don’t have to change who you are, I’m a huge geek and I never let getting into shape change that about me. I’m a strong member of the furry fandom, I love dabbling with computers, and I’m just a general anime nerd and even though it isn’t exactly cool or mainstream you don’t have to change

2. It’s the most painful thing you’ll ever do. I even get anxiety before races, and sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself. Just remember that if it doesn’t hurt its not working. Whether it’s running, lifting, or a general core workout it’s gonna hurt. To get stronger you need to be mentally strong and overcome the pain rather than cheat. I’m sore all the time, and to me it’s all worth it

3. Never give up. It takes only a few weeks more most people to start notices changes, but it takes months and sometimes even years for people to really get into shape. Don’t up if you don’t see changes right away

If you chose to get into fitness remember these 3 things and you’ll be well on your way

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    September 25, 2018 at 11:12 pm #185365

jonchernov, Don’t do anything stupid.

Being a teenager can be rough on some people but remember it’s TEMPORARY!
    Once you graduate from high school, go away to college, or enter into the workforce you’ll see a lot of stuff was B.S.

The sad truth about youth is it contains too much immaturity and unrealistic expectations about life.
    One major drawback is most young people lack the ability to think beyond (Right Now).
    Although you’re 16 you probably can’t imagine being age 18 and graduating from high school.
    And that’s just a couple years away!

Things you think are so “important” at age 16 won’t matter to you at age 21, 30, or beyond.
    Traveling to places in Europe, the Caribbean/tropical islands, California, New York will expand your mind.
    Your teenage years are just a footnote in your book of life. Your journey really begins once you’re an adult.

The world may not owe you anything but (you) owe yourself the world!
    Hang in there!

Onequestion
    Onequestion
    Participant
    October 13, 2018 at 5:14 pm #186990

Work on you, don’t worry too much about the weight, only for yourself and to be healthy. The right girl will come along and it will connect most likely at some point.

Libra82
    Libra82
    Participant
    October 17, 2018 at 5:52 pm #187340
    Reply To: How to get girls if you’re overweight?

Honestly… I have seen this over and over.. You probably have too. Guys dating women way out of their league. It’s really all about confidence, being humble but direct and know how to interact with women. If you have a great personality that people flock to.. That will do way more than a perfectly tone body.. Focus more on social interaction and dating skills. Not to be confused with “player” skills.

richiro
    richiro
    Participant
    October 18, 2018 at 2:17 pm #187424

yeah at that age.. it’s about “image”. Females date guys (or want to) that enhance their image – and many never outgrow this until much later in life. It’s what wil lmake them look “good” to their other female friends.. So.. the key is to bring some value ot the table to allow a female to be able to brag to her friends about her bf vs theirs. This can be a tricky game though as you don’t want to be USED either.

Now here is my ultimate advice: relax about HS dating. Hardly anybody ends up serious with whomever they dated in HS. Most kids dont’ even know what they’re doing dating in HS and only get hurt needlessly. FOCUS on you and making yourself happy and proud to be you and so you enjoy your life every day (aka hobbies, clubs, pursuits, etc.). Trick is.. the ultimate “value” to females in adulthood are the guys that live FABULOUS lives and are super happy – b/c they want to be a PART of that – and it’s the ultimate “braggability” to their other female friends in adulthood.

GL!

Heidi Goodrich
    Heidi Goodrich
    Participant
    October 22, 2018 at 8:24 am #187578

Are you lifting weights? I know this may seem like a weird question. I have been a Strength Coach for over 20 years and the #1 way I have helped a client develop confidence is by getting them stronger. There is science based evidence how strength is connected to confidence. Getting to the gym and pushing heavy weights (safely of course) can do wonders for your self esteem and confidence within just a few weeks. My heart goes out to you. High school is incredibly tough as it is a time for developing self esteem. Being overweight makes it that much more difficult. Imagine though, what you are learning about yourself now, your body and how to be okay being overweight for a season regardless of the challenges that come with it….those are some essential life skills!!! You are developing your resilience, you are developing new knowledge about your body, you are here learning how to do things differently. That makes you VERY different in a GOOD way!!! Well done!

richiro
    richiro
    Participant
    October 22, 2018 at 2:48 pm #187712

the key is confidence (not strength) – albeit Heidi is right – most men gain the most confidence by being strong or muscular – especially at your age.
    but CONFIDENCE is the key – and that can come in many different ways not just weights.

ULtimately, if you are happy, lfie is good, you have a passion that you love and partake in. you’ll have confidence.

In the end, you want to get to a point where it doens’t actually matter to you if you have a gf or not – b/c you’re loving your life that much to begin with. Once you are in a “i could take it or leave it” with the dating stuff – THAT’S when you’re at your upmost confidence AND thus at your most desirable state to others.

If it’s weights and muscles, great.
    If it’s being a champion drone race driver or go-kart racer – awesome!
    If it’s loving mountain or tract ride biking in the wilderness or becoming an expert/passionate camper or volunteer at some cause you believe in – GREAT!

Any of those things or more work!

ps69uk
    ps69uk
    Participant
    November 1, 2018 at 4:55 pm #188496

Yes, completely agree with the above. Confidence is the way forward and trumps everything. If you don’t believe me watch RSD Owen Cook do his stuff…. But it wouldn’t hurt your confidence to get in better shape, just saying 😉

Ts0024
    Ts0024
    Participant
    November 3, 2018 at 12:07 am #188677

Don’t let your weight bring down your confidence