Is he interested in being more than friends?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2018 at 7:51 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

KMA
    KMA
    Participant
    July 18, 2018 at 3:12 pm #179740

Him and I have been friends for years. We met abroad and after we left we stayed in touch through text. Our messages were consistent (although not daily, mostly every couple of weeks or so) he would update me on what he’s been up to, and so would I. I’m definitely interested in him. After years of texting, we ended up both moving to the same city. Since then he’s invited me to dinners at his place with close friends and colleagues. His close friends have “heard of me” but my insecurities are playing with my mind, as he has a lot of female friends that appear to know him much more than I do and are far more comfortable with him (wrapping arms around him and getting physically close etc.) while we both always kept a certain physical distance (’cause I’m shy).

If we’re just friends, why are we not comfortable with each other (to the extent that I see his other female friends are at) and if we’re more than friends, why is he not making any move?

Coach_Michael21
    Coach_Michael21
    Participant
    July 18, 2018 at 3:36 pm #179749

Hi MK,

It sounds as though he likes you, but he might be a little shy himself. Guys (even confident ones) will sometimes “proceed with caution” around a girl he likes, because he doesn’t want to risk doing something stupid. He’ll get close and wrap arms with the other girls because he isn’t worried about messing up around them.

In this situation, because you’re also a bit shy, it might help if you give him some further signs that you may be interested. I’m not saying that you should go up and fling your arms around him yourself, but maybe by being in closer proximity, initiating more conversation, and suggesting ideas for events and activities would be a good step. If he still doesn’t get the hint after that, why not take the initiative and ask him out? More and more girls are doing this these days.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    July 18, 2018 at 4:01 pm #179756

You said: “my insecurities are playing with my mind.”
    “we both always kept a certain physical distance (’cause I’m shy).”
    “If we’re just friends, why are we not comfortable with each other.”

Sounds to me as though he recognizes (you are uncomfortable) with hugs and touching and therefore keeps his distance.
    I also suspect he sees you as being a friend. His invitations for dinner at his place have all been with close friends and colleagues.

If he were romantically interested in you he would first establish the romance and then introduce you to inner circle when he became serious.
    Most men seek out alone time with women they’re interested in.

From what you’ve described he’s done nothing but offered you an opportunity to “hang out”.
    The reason he hasn’t made a move is because he doesn’t see you as being his type or doesn’t think you see him as being your type. Lastly it’s also possible he may be gay and hasn’t told you yet. Some gay guys have lots of close female friends.

KMA
    KMA
    Participant
    July 19, 2018 at 10:28 am #179798

Thank you Coach_Michael21 and dashingscorpio!!

I know he’s not gay, it came up once in a conversation we were having. There’s a lot of other details that give me mixed signals and confuse me even more and I’m not sure if they are indeed “signals” or I’m just overanalysing because I want to believe something that’s not there.I know that the nature of the working hours in his job is just crazy and intense, but he still -sometimes- sends me funny selfies and shots of what he’s doing. He doesn’t always initiate the conversation though. But even when I do, he’s always very responsive.

I guess the only way to find out is to just try asking him out for dinner just the two of us, but would you say it’s a good idea to ask him if he’s seeing someone or if he’s interested in being more than friends?

KMA
    KMA
    Participant
    July 19, 2018 at 3:44 pm #179803

Another thing is that, we talked about almost everything except relationships. We never talked about our relationships. He has never asked me if I was with someone and I never asked him as well. From my side, part of me didn’t want to ask him because I didn’t want to force him to share something if he’s not welling to share it, if he wants to tell me, he would tell me, I said. But I can’t deny that I’m now much more curious than I was.

Leroy
    Leroy
    Participant
    July 19, 2018 at 3:48 pm #179918

U should try to discus with him if he is interested in a relationship

Melody87
    Melody87
    Participant
    August 17, 2018 at 4:39 pm #181879

He likes you since he’s been persistent with keeping you updated about his life through texting and inviting you out to dinners. I agree with Leroy. Talk to him about your thoughts and feelings towards him and see if he’s willing to form a relationship with you since you guys have known each other for years. Perhaps besides just going to his house for dinners with other close friends and colleagues, you could invite him to go out and do some different types of activities that you both take an interest in. Then, throughout time, maybe you’ll both be able to connect and feel more comfortable with each other.