Meaning of message on online dating

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    August 8, 2018 at 5:53 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

beeyoga
    beeyoga
    Participant
    July 14, 2018 at 12:28 pm #179344

I’m a woman who is new to an online dating site. Recently, I sent a “like” to one of the guys and he replied with a message of “Thank you”. I am unsure what this means. I am leaning toward thinking that this means “thank you, however I am not interested” as it doesn’t really seem to be an invitation to further conversation. Thank you for any feedback you may have for me.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    July 14, 2018 at 1:23 pm #179345

It means he’s not interested.
    However he didn’t want to be rude by not acknowledging the “like”.

If someone is “interested” in you they’ll generally ask you some questions and initiate a conversation.
    There are some people especially women who tend to have a negative view of “likes” “flirts” or “emojis” as ice breakers.

It conjures up an image of someone scrolling down a list of profiles and simply hitting like (hoping) for the other person to make contact.
    Men are notorious for hitting the “like” or “cute” button without putting in any time or effort to connect.

If you “like” someone’s profile it only takes a minute to state a couple of things you liked in it and wish them a good day.
    At least they’ll feel as though you actually read their profile and didn’t simply click on “like” because of a photo.

Don’t allow yourself to become emotionally invested in anyone you haven’t spent significant time with.
    In a world with over 7 Billion people rejection just means NEXT!

Coach_Michael21
    Coach_Michael21
    Participant
    July 17, 2018 at 10:20 am #179553

Yes, it’s quite clear that he isn’t interested. If a guy is interested in you online, at the very least, he will “like” you back. But most likely, he will message you, trying to get to know you more. The fact that he didn’t either means a) he has very poor social skills, or b) more likely, he isn’t interested.

tstudent
    tstudent
    Participant
    July 27, 2018 at 7:25 am #180320

@dashingscorpio: ‘Men are notorious for hitting the “like” or “cute” button without putting in any time or effort to connect.’
    Isn’t that exactly what she did?

I agree, most likely he isn’t interested. Or maybe he has other more interesting conversations going. Anyway, for men and women alike, if you want a response, dont send a like, send a message that encourages a response (e.g. has a question).