My boyfriend overthinks a lot. What should I do?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    November 11, 2018 at 9:58 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

juliegurl27
    juliegurl27
    Participant
    July 10, 2018 at 4:37 am #178831

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for 3 months now. We’ve never been in a serious fight since we try hard not to get into any arguments. But just last night, after him knowing that I am joining a contest to win a free tour to the States, he was both saddened and mad. He overthinks that I might find someone there and leave him. I already assured him that if I won, I’ll not be entertaining anybody in the States. I also told him that there will be a total of 10 people going so he doesn’t need to worry. But still, he insists. What should I do?

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    July 10, 2018 at 10:27 am #178866

There is nothing (you) can do to address someone else’s emotional baggage and insecurity.
    Anyone who gets seriously upset over a (hypothetical situation) has some major issues.

You haven’t even won the contest and he’s already both sad and mad you’re going somewhere without him.
    A secure boyfriend would be supportive, cheering you on, and hoping you achieve everything you want in life.

This may be a “red flag” worth keeping an eye on.
    If your mate needs you to give up your dreams and goals in order for him to trust you and feel secure he may not be the one for you.

Once you start jumping through hoops, walking on eggshells, or not being true to yourself in order keep the peace you die emotionally.
    Don’t let some guy you’ve only been dating for (3 months) control or manipulate you into giving up your dreams.
    Life is a (personal) journey. The world may not owe you anything but (you) owe yourself the world!

Tell him you need to be with someone who supports your dreams.

carapc73
    carapc73
    Participant
    July 10, 2018 at 12:20 pm #178885

You need to tell him to take a chill pill. But all things aside, I think that you guys need to have a serious heart-to-heart on this topic. I had a similar situation and I handed it going to counseling for it. It worked for a period of time but then went back to the ways they used to be.

juliegurl27
    juliegurl27
    Participant
    July 11, 2018 at 2:28 am #178947

Thanks a lot for this insightful comment. I’ll surely learn a lot from this.

juliegurl27
    juliegurl27
    Participant
    July 11, 2018 at 9:07 am #178948

Yes, that’s right. I’ll talk to him regarding this.