My grandparents strongly dislike my girlfriend. I’m clueless.

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2018 at 11:17 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

MiguelAlva29
    MiguelAlva29
    Participant
    August 22, 2018 at 8:56 pm #182292

I just got into a long distance relationship with my girlfriend who’s in California right now. We’ve been chatting, video calling and talking to each other for months and we’ve finally decided to make things official. I decided to tell my family about it but my grandparents strongly disagree. They’re saying things like “women from USA are cheaters and inconsistent. You’ll just get your heartbroken in the long run.” I can see that they have good intentions since they’re just worried about me but I really am confident about this girl. We’ve only met once during my stay as a foreign exchange student program. I’ve gotten to know her personally and I can say she’s amazing. How can I convince them that there’s nothing to worry about?

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    August 22, 2018 at 11:17 pm #182295

It has nothing to do with her being an American.
    Long distance relationships were meant to be temporary. The goal is to be with the person you love.

It’s the counting down of the months, weeks, and days until one is done with the inconvenience of being in a LDR that keeps it strong! When there’s no light at the end of the tunnel whereby someone will be relocating couples drift apart.
    The only reason for entering into a LDR is the belief she/he is “the one”.
    If you’re just “dating someone”; you might as well do that locally.

“We’ve (only met once) during my stay as a foreign exchange student program.”

Almost no one would commit to an “exclusive relationship” with someone they’ve only been with once in a local dating situation.
    Obstacles such as distance tend to romantically intensify relationships especially for young people.
    Countless high school sweethearts vow to stay together for 4-6 years while attending different universities.
    They end up dating students (on campus).

NotThatGuy
    NotThatGuy
    Participant
    August 23, 2018 at 8:53 am #182304

And some high school sweethearts get married weeks after finishing their Bachelor’s degree, like my roommate. He and his girl were in each other’s presence probably 8 total weeks over their entire collegiate career.

DashingScorpio is completely wrong with regards as her being American being an issue. As for convincing ‘Old World’ grandparents about the virtues of American women… you’ll have a better chance being on the starting 11 for a World Cup squad in 2022. They worry because they’ve seen the long term success rate of relationships and the odds are not in your favor, they never are. I’m the grandchild of ‘Old World’ grandparents and they screwed up my chances of dating every time I was in their part of the world for very much the same reasons.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    August 23, 2018 at 3:18 pm #182423

NotThatGuy, What I was saying is (cheating) has nothing to do with whether a woman is American or not.

The biggest issue is it’s a long distance relationship. And yes some couples do marry their high school sweethearts.
    However the vast majority of people do not end up marrying their “first love”.

Even those who did get married had been with each other (more than once) before professing their love to each other.
    When it comes to love and relationships most of us (fail our way) to success.
    Very few people hit a homerun their first, second, third, or fourth time up at bat.
    If this were not the case we would (all) be married to our high school sweethearts!

Personally I’ve never taken into account what anyone has to say regarding who I dated.
    Life is a (personal) journey!

Each of us (chooses) our own friends, lovers, and spouse.
    Each of us has our own mate selection/screening process and “must haves list”
    Each of us has our own boundaries and “deal breakers”.

Efteee
    Efteee
    Participant
    August 23, 2018 at 3:47 pm #182434

Listen to them.