Online dating – specifying what I'm looking for

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2018 at 7:50 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

tstudent
    tstudent
    Participant
    July 27, 2018 at 3:28 am #180318

Hello! This question is about wording the following idea nicely in an online dating profile:

– I’m looking for a long-term relationship
    – I don’t want to give an impression that I desperately need to find someone and already have rings waiting and that it would have to be super serious right away
    – I’m not against having something casual while looking for the one

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    July 27, 2018 at 2:59 pm #180383

Forget about saying you’re looking for a long-term relationship, marriage, or whatever!
    Your goal should be to meet someone who shares your same values and interests.

You’re not going to know if you want a long-term relationship or be exclusive with someone until after you get to know them!
    Naturally if both people see each other as being “special” things will (naturally) evolve into something serious.

You might say something like;
    I’m an honest, sincere, affectionate, fun loving person seeking a likeminded individual to explore some possibilities.
    I enjoy…. My favorite… place to visit is, food, music, hobbies…

Be weary of anyone who tells you they’re “ready to get married” and they don’t have a boyfriend/girlfriend!
    Essentially they’re chasing after a marital status and in search of a “prop”.

The “special person” you are already with should be the reason why you’re suddenly having thoughts of marriage.
    The goal is to find the “right one” not the “next one”.

joselcollin
    joselcollin
    Participant
    September 4, 2018 at 3:09 am #183308

Thank you

slimslim25
    slimslim25
    Participant
    September 4, 2018 at 10:24 pm #183406

I agree very much so with some of the other posters. You shouldn’t focus on making it clear that you’re looking for a long term or short term relationship necessarily, though its not a horrible thing to mention. I recommend making it clear your likes and dislikes so you can connect with someone who has similar interests and then figure out if you two would be able to eventually be in a certain status with each other.