Paying for Dates

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Paying for Dates

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    December 12, 2019 at 5:53 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    EliteSingles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    Adult Friend Finder Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

healthyandhappy
    healthyandhappy
    Participant
    April 29, 2019 at 9:14 pm #199468
    Reply To: Paying for Dates

I’m struggling with the same, but I’ll offer my thoughts on how I’m trying to approach it.

1) Spend time considering and give a nice, reasonably expensive gift. Perhaps she expresses a real interest in something? Avoids you being perceived as cheap.
    2) Discuss what you’d like to see as a future model for sharing expenses if you were married. Do you both contribute the same? The same % as you earn? What makes sense or is reasonable and respectful in your mind? Focus on the future. For how long will you both work and contribute (maybe you’re not the same age or close to retirement status?)? Will your contributions be more because you’re older until you retire and she contribute afterwards 100% until she retires? Try to suss out what is “fair” in her mind and see if you can find something you can be HAPPY with.
    3) With the future agreed, why not have that today? Dating is an exploration of what life might be like if married, so why not try to do some of those things today?

ElegantBrie
    ElegantBrie
    Participant
    April 30, 2019 at 11:38 pm #199599

Let her know your opinion on the matter and see if she would be willing to contribute to bills occasionally. I dated someone before and I paid for everything all the time, including gas for him to come pick me up. It’s not good for you or for them in any way.

SilverEagle907
    SilverEagle907
    Participant
    May 20, 2019 at 7:32 pm #200790

She is a Model T and the world has moved past starting a car with a crank. There are going to be a herd of women who are still going to want their feminism to be suntan lotion in the summer and a parka in the winter. In today’s world there is a lot of energy driving the demonization of male sensuality. It is a “depersonalization” of men. I see that there are and there will be people who are saying that a man should pay first. Maybe. However, if that becomes a habit across three dates then in her mind her company is her investment. That means that in two years when she still hasn’t told you how much she really wants you, how much she needs you, and still hasn’t really dug into your psyche to find out who YOU really are emotionally, remember at that moment as you are standing in front of the ice box that she never invested into the partnership in the first place.

JohnDP
    JohnDP
    Participant
    August 3, 2019 at 6:38 pm #204791

When she suggests anything that will cost you money make excuses. She wants to go out to eat tell her you prefer to eat at home. When she wants to go on vacation tell her that every place we could go looks just like some place I’ve already been. Get it?

KevinMcCabe
    KevinMcCabe
    Participant
    August 12, 2019 at 5:06 pm #205291

When a woman goes out alone, she has money.
    When a woman goes out with her lady friends, she has money.
    When a woman goes out with a lady friend who significantly earns more than her, she has money.
    I don’t know when suddenly a D involved she becomes poor.

KevinMcCabe
    KevinMcCabe
    Participant
    August 13, 2019 at 8:35 am #205292

I forgot to mention what happened to that lovely “strong and independent” woman motto?

jfes1688
    jfes1688
    Participant
    August 16, 2019 at 11:13 pm #205593

You both have expectations based on the past. I would say it’s in your best interests to have an open and honest dialogue about this, because assumptions can lead to disappointment, which can lead to resentments.

aliaspenname
    aliaspenname
    Participant
    August 17, 2019 at 11:04 pm #205601

Definitely broach the subject. Perhaps approach it from a budget standpoint. You’d like to treat, but that you have limited resources. You could stretch the “outings” by going Dutch or taking turns. Or you can fill in the gaps with affordable options. It’ll give her an opportunity to offer to jump in or be totally ok with just spending time without cost.

If she balks st any of that, she’s definitely not someone you want to stick around.

FemaleFriends123
    FemaleFriends123
    Participant
    August 18, 2019 at 1:02 pm #205617

I think you just need to be real with her and tell her what you feel, especially when you are contemplating to keep her. As a woman, it feels good when men spend for us, but I am also a woman who takes pride in my independence so I’d rather pay for my meal than have a man pay for it. If my guy does end up paying for the meal, I pay for something else – like coffee or do a bit of grocery. It’s give and take.

nyass
    nyass
    Participant
    August 18, 2019 at 8:33 pm #205621

Have a conversation with her and tell her what you can afford to pay for her and what you can’t. Speak it out!

Joella
    Joella
    Participant
    August 19, 2019 at 12:08 pm #205637

I think paying for dates and paying for vacations are 2 separate things.

Talk about it before you get mad and blow up, and it comes out all wrong.

LG
    LG
    Participant
    September 3, 2019 at 2:59 pm #206494

It is nice to get treated but a woman can’t always expect a man to pay. If the woman’s income doesn’t match the man’s, then there are a lot of things to do and places to go that don’t cost a lot or even nothing at all. The important thing is being together and having fun.

nillie93
    nillie93
    Participant
    September 5, 2019 at 2:49 am #206538

I always pay at the start, after a few months this becomes more even

selfishpartner
    selfishpartner
    Participant
    September 6, 2019 at 11:01 am #206606

At a certain point it should be a shared expense.

Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    November 16, 2019 at 2:47 pm #225202

Dont Be Shy Just Say her On Face THat I cant Afford …

1 2 3