Should I Date Him? Can He Really be Very Different from High School?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    July 7, 2019 at 5:24 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    EliteSingles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

sambam4408
    sambam4408
    Participant
    July 3, 2019 at 11:47 pm #203242

I’ve known this guy, Mike, since middle school (We are now 22). Mike was the “weird guy” in school, in middle school he was teased quite often, and I felt bad for him. I was one of the only people who would talk to him.Growing up, I had mixed feelings about him. I thought he was a bit obnoxious, but he was also caring, strong, talented, and meant well by his awkwardness. He has been crushing on me since middle school, and has never given up on hitting on me, no matter how many times I have rejected him. He joined the marines shortly after HS, and recently came back to visit. He asked me to hang out, and he just seemed so different than how I knew him before. He was calmer, more collected, and wasn’t as awkward. I was enjoying myself with him, and started realizing that he has a lot of the qualities I’m looking for in a partner. We ended up making out and I actually liked that too! Never thought this would happen. My friends and family would think I’m crazy. Am I crazy?

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    July 4, 2019 at 5:04 pm #203259

You’re free to date anyone you are attracted to and feel compatible with.
    Hopefully not many people are the same as they were in high school!

Having said that not many (22 year old guys) are ready to settle down and get married.
    Most people in this age group have yet to figure out who they are let alone know what they want/need in a mate.
    The average age of a first time bride is 27 and 29 for grooms in the U.S.
    Many people don’t get married until they are well into their 30s.
    Most people don’t find their soulmate at age 22.

Therefore my approach would be to date for the FUN of it and not see this as a “soulmate” opportunity.
    If things do evolve into something serious that’s great too.

colinwall87
    colinwall87
    Participant
    July 5, 2019 at 8:04 am #203270

rarely do people stay the same. you should give him a chance

Sandra love
    Sandra love
    Participant
    July 5, 2019 at 10:16 am #203293

you should give him a chance

davidsleftwich
    davidsleftwich
    Participant
    July 8, 2019 at 3:27 am #203337

You should give him one chance.

simisima
    simisima
    Participant
    July 8, 2019 at 8:31 pm #203456

I think you should give him the benefit of the doubt

asdigital
    asdigital
    Participant
    July 9, 2019 at 3:17 am #203458

The question is why did you felt bad when other people were teasing him? Is it because you think it’s unfair or there are more love feelings under your reaction but you are afraid of what other people will think (how on earth can a beautiful girl like you be with a weirdo). You have nothing to lose and everything to learn at your 22 years. Give him a change and you “might” be surprised!

FemaleFriends123
    FemaleFriends123
    Participant
    July 14, 2019 at 12:01 pm #203633

You are definitely not crazy for having feelings for him, based on your story, you liked him at some level to care enough for him. Give him a chance to prove himself worthy. People change, they either improve or get worse and by the looks of it, Mike is doing better! Go for it.