Should I Text Him Back First After the First Date?

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    October 10, 2018 at 8:27 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

gamakichi
    gamakichi
    Participant
    October 13, 2018 at 1:11 pm #186987

I matched with a guy on Tinder on Monday, I sent the first message and we hit it off really well so I asked him out and we made plans to get dinner Wednesday night. The date went really well. He even mentioned some activities we could do next time. After dinner, he walked me to my car with his arm around me, he kissed me, and we ended up making out in the back of my car. He told me to text him when I got home so he would know I was safe. I texted him and thanked him again for a great night and he said that he also had a fun time. Today is Saturday and I haven’t heard anything from him since. Normally, I would be all for texting the guy first after the first date, but I already made the first move by initiating contact and asking him out. Should I text him first, and if yes, what should I say? Or should I wait for him, and drop it if he doesn’t text me at all?

frankt
    frankt
    Participant
    October 14, 2018 at 7:47 pm #187005

You must have peaked his interest during the dinner date. I can determine that from the fact that he mentioned some future activity with you. Judging from my own motivations, when i ask a guy to let me know he got home safe that means i am interested in him/her. I can understand the hesitancy about initiating the contact once again, since the first meetup was under your suggestion. Take one of the activities he had mentioned (during the dinner date) and suggest that to him. Or, in an indirect non-pressure way, pick out one of those activities he mentioned, tell him that his suggestion was a great one, tell him that you will be doing it on a certain day and time, and make clear to him that you hope that sometime he could join you. That way you are leaving it up to him as to whether to join you. But, you are not directly asking him to join. He will have to contact you to find out how it went. If he does, he is chasing after you. You are being fun, and don’t “need” them.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 8 hours ago by frankt frankt.
    MiaSara
    MiaSara
    Participant
    October 15, 2018 at 9:36 am #187032

Personally, I wouldn’t text him. You reached out first and asked him out. You texted him that you arrived home safely. The ball is in his court. It is best to play it cool at this point. Believe me, if he is interested he will be texting to set up the next date. If not, move on. Plenty of fish in the sea – no need to chase after one if his interest is lukewarm.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    October 15, 2018 at 11:51 am #187038

No shouldn’t text him or wait for him to text you.
    You’ve already made the first move and now the ball is in his court.
    But don’t sit around waiting for his text or phone call.

You should be keeping your options open by going out with other guys!
    No one goes to Sunday Champagne Brunch and only fills their plate at the first food station.

The truth is whenever you meet someone on an online dating site or app it’s foolish to act as if you’re in an “exclusive relationship”. Odds are he’s meeting with and going out with other women! There has been no commitment made or emotional investment. Just because he mentioned doing some (possible future activity) does not mean he was talking about the immediate future.

When a company is looking to fill a key position they always interview (multiple candidates) before making an offer to the best one. By the same token anyone looking for a job sends their resume out to (multiple companies) as opposed to waiting to see if the first company will hire them.

whatamidoing
    whatamidoing
    Participant
    October 17, 2018 at 1:25 pm #187272

I’d say, leave it a whole week and then message him again? if no reply after that then you know where you stand

richiro
    richiro
    Participant
    October 17, 2018 at 3:58 pm #187301

wait a bit. maybe reach out to him next week and see what’s up.
    if he isn’t initiating at all – he’s not interested. sorry.