The Frustration of Online Dating

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    November 11, 2018 at 8:28 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

NHGUY123
    NHGUY123
    Participant
    October 21, 2018 at 9:46 am #187628

Since my divorce in 2008, I have dabbled with online dating for the past 10 years, met three women and had brief relationships plagued with baggage of their past relationships. For me, letting go has always been natural and I don’t carry baggage of my married years.

The one thing I note on dating sites is that people are easily dismissed with a swipe or click based on superficial criteria. My guess is that time moves on but people don’t change their expectations. Women appear to be looking for men that don’t exist or at least don’t meet the criteria women are looking for; a white knight with movie star looks to come riding in on a stallion. I don’t know what the profiles from men look like, but I can’t imagine that there are many matches out there. Reading women’s profiles asking “are there any good men out there” and having women tell you that “I don’t want to settle” makes me wonder if anyone realizes how short life really is.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    October 21, 2018 at 10:09 am #187629

And yet if you go to any public place; movie theater, park, beach, mall, restaurant, festival, or church you’ll see average looking couples. This suggests there really is someone for everyone. People want to attract the best person they can and some aim for those out their league.

Truthfully there’s no difference between being “shallow” and having “preferences”.
    A man may not be attracted to overweight women and a woman may not date men shorter than her.
    Everyone (including you) has their own “must haves list” and “deal breakers”. That’s life!

As for expectations most of those evolve over time or people realize they’re being unrealistic.
    They also vary from age group, to race, or culture. Thankfully there are over 7 Billion on the planet.
    You determine your options based upon how many people you exclude as possibilities.

If you’re not in an committed relationship date multiple women casually and just have fun.
    You have to get to know someone well before deciding if they’re special.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    October 21, 2018 at 10:31 am #187631

Lastly there is no such thing as “settling”.
    People always take the BEST available option they believe they have.
    I’ve never seen anyone turn down a brand new car for a broken down jalopy!

Generally it comes down to “cost” or “effort” the person is willing to expend when making a choice.
    In the early example if I said in order to get the new car one has to run/walk a marathon or take the jalopy right now.
    There would be some people who would say it’s not worth doing the marathon and they’ll take the jalopy or get on the bus.
    Now can you really say they “settled”? No! They weren’t willing to pay the cost!
    So they chose (best option) based on what they were willing to pay.

You have the option to invest time, money, and effort to look like what you believe women want.
    You could also join some niche dating sites of other races and cultures whose values may be different.
    If you want something different YOU have to do something different.
    Women asking about good men need to check their friend zone!

richiro
    richiro
    Participant
    October 22, 2018 at 3:06 pm #187716

not sure the purpose of your post – but i will respectfully disagree on some points you’ve made.

1. There is no difference between “shallow” and “preferences”. I disagree. Is being attracted or preferring somebody that is self-sufficient and have a career “shallow”? What if i told you my ex-fiancee put me in 6 figure credit card debt before breaking our engagement? Does that chnage your mind? What about preferring “blondes” is shallow? We are all attracted to what we’re attracted to – doesn’t make us shallow.

What is the difference? A shallow person isn’t interested in the person beneath. A preference is just preferring somethign but still caring who the person is beneath.

2. There is “no such thing as settling.. people always take the BEST available option”. There are highly insecure people out there and thus what they believe their best option is may be settling. Settling is taking something you know isn’t going to turn out right – even if ti’s the BEST option available.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    October 22, 2018 at 4:25 pm #187719

richiro,

Shallow or preference is all in the eye of the beholder. Usually the person being rejected sees the other as being shallow.
    Wanting someone who is attractive, self sufficient, and has a career is NOT shallow (in MY opinion).
    However a person who is “in between jobs” and considers them self to have wonderful qualities may call it shallow!
    People who get rejected often scream “sour grapes”.

If a man is 5’5″ and meets a woman who is 5’8″ and she only wants to date guys taller than her that man might call her “shallow”.
    However she’s entitled to have her own “preferences” and “must haves list” when it comes to choosing a mate.
    Maybe she feels “safer” with bigger men. Truth is she may not even know why she likes what she likes!
    Everyone has their likes, dislikes, acceptance, and rejection when it comes to people, places, food, colors, music, and things. Just because we don’t agree with them or understand their reasoning doesn’t make their criteria “shallow”.

ThrowawayAccount
    ThrowawayAccount
    Participant
    October 23, 2018 at 4:14 am #187727

Personally I believe that you can do a lot better than superficial dating sites, you wouldn’t want to end up in a bad relationship that started from one anyway. I think the best way to meet someone is by going out and trying to treat yourself when you really need a pick-me-up. That way, you’re in a good mood and people are drawn to others who are happy. I feel like you’ll meet people who aren’t as shallow this way. Also in doing this, you will be happy in your own company. just go out and do things that you enjoy by yourself. You’ve got this!

richiro
    richiro
    Participant
    October 25, 2018 at 2:43 pm #187873

Dashing Scorpio,

i will agree that it’s subjective- in what people define as shallow. But preferences are preferences – regardless if somebody sees it as shallow or not. We all have a right to be attracted to what we’re attracted to right? or know what makes us happy or not no?

Loogy_1234
    Loogy_1234
    Participant
    October 26, 2018 at 5:26 am #187938

I was on match for a while. It’s definitely a place for relationships and not a hook up site I think.

David92506
    David92506
    Participant
    October 26, 2018 at 7:25 pm #188017

Frustrations Of Online Dating
    It seems to me that most people these days are very self-absorbed and self-centered that they can’t see beyond their own nose unless they want something from you. (Not all of course)

It also seems that “active listening” skills is rare these days. Most people just talk about themselves and don’t ask any questions of the other person.

It also seems that many people don’t put much effort into a relationship. They don’t want to get hurt.

Many people chase away anyone who gets too close to them.

It doesn’t seem like there is any more “normal” people. People seem more sensitive and toxic these days.

These are some examples why online dating is so frustrating.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by David92506 David92506. Reason: I needed to add something
    Anonymous
    Anonymous
    October 29, 2018 at 5:04 am #188062
    Reply To: The Frustration of Online Dating

Matchmaking technique followed- Location-based dating site as Tinder, Suggests its users a match from the peoples whom they crossed paths in their day to day life. And if any users swipe to like on each others profile then there is a match.
    It is not frustration of online dating .Feel Free to Contact
    Please Visit : Howzu App