The most basic question of all

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    May 5, 2019 at 2:19 am FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    EliteSingles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

TheDragon
    TheDragon
    Participant
    December 27, 2018 at 12:18 pm #191714

I asked this same question on Reddit and didn’t get what I was looking for. So perhaps I’ll get a more straight answer here.

Background in a nutshell: Only had one relationship in my life. I’m 39. Failed attempt at marriage. Two friends who should have never gotten married. Still friends to this day. Started out long distance across the internet before eventually moving in together.

Ok, so knowing that I said my question is basic. And it is. I’ve gone through life never dating, and not by choice. So I haven’t gotten that experience like everyone else does as a normal part of life. What I want to know, is HOW you actually date someone. Not meaning asking them out, but what you do while dating and how often. Do you see them every day? Do you constantly go out doing activities? Are you calling or texting each other every day? I realize the x-factor is the two people themselves and what they want. So, just looking for YOUR prior experiences to guide me along.

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    December 27, 2018 at 10:51 pm #191726

Not all dating/relationships are the same so there are no real preconceived behavioral traits.
    As you noted the “x-factor” is the two people themselves.
    If two people are really (into each other) they will NATURALLY want to spend as much time together as possible.
    You don’t make relationships happen but rather allow them to (naturally evolve) if they are meant to be.
    A person calls or texts someone because (they) want to.

Having said that there are instances where people are more or less dating for fun and enjoyment.
    One or both people are fairly certain their pairing is not going to end up being a “happily ever after”.
    There are also those who get together for “booty call” sessions or they are “friends with benefits”.
    In addition some people come on “hot and heavy” to seduce or romantically entice another person.

Casual dating between two people not in a “relationship” and keeping their options open have no real rules.
    They may contact each other a couple of times a week or a few times per month.