We broke up but everything's the same

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    November 11, 2018 at 6:21 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

compek
    compek
    Participant
    June 4, 2018 at 2:35 am #176031

My partner of 3 years recently broke up with me out of nowhere – he has some commitment issues and just bought a house and freaked out a little about getting older. We tried doing the whole breakup thing but it didn’t work, we’re now 6 weeks into the ‘break up’ and everything’s exactly the same as it was, we’re also not talking to anyone else either.

I asked him if he wanted to get back together and he said he wasn’t ready yet, which I didn’t understand as we are together still just without the title. I need advice on how to go about this as I obviously find it so confusing and weird but I’m trying to be patient and understanding of his commitment phobia. I’m willing to wait for him because I love him but I also don’t want to come across as a pushover who will just always be here while he does him.

We’re still young only 22 and 24, how do I say i want to get back together while being sensitive to his phobias, or your opinion on the situation?

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    June 9, 2018 at 8:32 pm #176621

At ages 22 and 24 for my advice to you is to move on.
    To be honest with you most guys in their 20s are in no hurry to become their parents.
    The thought of settling down/getting married, signing a 30 year mortgage, and having children is like watching their lives flash before their eyes!
    Most guys in their 20s want to establish a career, travel/explore, party with friends, watch sports, play video games, and get laid.

You said: “I asked him if he wanted to get back together and he said he wasn’t ready yet..” In other words he said; NO!
    Essentially he’s got you (riding the bench) while he explores other options! It’s your fault if you waste your time after being told (no).
    A lot of men see their 20s as a time for enjoying being single. You guys were essentially teenagers when you met.
    If he were honest with you he would tell you it’s not “commitment phobia” he just doesn’t believe (you) are “the one”.
    “Never love anyone who treats you like you’re ordinary.” – Oscar Wilde

mikahaka
    mikahaka
    Participant
    June 12, 2018 at 7:50 am #176769

My advise is to clarify the situation of the “brake up” -if it is so, you should not be acting like nothing happened.
    Maybe it would be nice to try to clarify this with him!