What does it mean when he asks me "do I have a boyfriend yet?"

DATING ADVICE FORUM

Author
    Comments
  • Hayley Matthews Hayley Matthews
    DatingAdvice.com
    April 4, 2019 at 5:21 pm FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT

Hey DatingAdvice.com forum readers! Just a quick heads up that a few dating sites are offering a FREE trial to DatingAdvice forum readers. Try it now and meet local singles in just a few minutes! Here are the sites:

Site Who You'll Meet Today's Deal
    Match.com Casual dating for ages 18-65 Get FREE access
    Elite Singles Educated professionals 25 and older Get FREE access
    AFF.com Hookups, casual encounters Get FREE access

What are you waiting for? One mouse click could be all that stands between you and your next romance!

arethena
    arethena
    Participant
    January 27, 2019 at 12:20 am #193527

So here’s a little background story first.

I’ve known him since 6th grade and I disliked (hated) him until 9th grade, which we became friends for 5 years and counting. About a month ago I started catching feelings for him, which is so cliche, but it happens. I know he doesn’t like me, but his actions gave me mixed feelings. We hang out once in a few months and every time he would just randomly ask me “so do you have a boyfriend yet?” Is that weird? or am I being paranoid?

Also, we’re not best friends, but we’re pretty decent friends. I also feel like he treats me so fragile, like he’s walking on glass with me. One time he was gonna say something but then he saw me look at him so he just quieted down, things like that.

ibobee
    ibobee
    Participant
    January 27, 2019 at 12:59 pm #193533

i think hes interested, myself being in a similar situation.

GJ
    GJ
    Participant
    January 27, 2019 at 1:13 pm #193536

I am getting mixed messages. Kindly help me understand so I can provide you with helpful feed-back.
    1. You have been friends for 5 years and counting and you say you are decent friends. What do you mean when you say he doesn’t like me?
    2. You have made it clear that you have feelings for him. When he asks you if you have a boyfriend yet what is your answer?

It is usually not in our best interest when we try to figure out what something means in our own head when someone does or says this or that. Many times the person does not have a clear understanding as to why they do or say things. However we can better understand you and your feelings, thoughts, and actions. You like him, he asks if you if you have a boyfriend and:
    3. What are you feeling when he asks you this question?
    4. What do you start to tell yourself?
    I look forward to reading your response and providing you pertinent feed-back

dashingscorpio
    dashingscorpio
    Participant
    January 27, 2019 at 2:40 pm #193537

“I {know} he doesn’t like me…”, “We hang out once in a few months…”
    That pretty much says it all. A “platonic friend” is very similar to having a sibling.
    I would not read anything into the question regarding whether or not you had boyfriend.

He’s not making an effort to spend much time (once in a few months) with you and he has never hit on you.
    Asking questions is just his way of “catching up” with what is going with his (friend) these days.

If you ever have to “figure out” a guy he’s probably Not “into” YOU.

GJ
    GJ
    Participant
    February 3, 2019 at 12:03 pm #194056

Hello Arethena
    I can not know for sure if he does or doesn’t have romantic feelings for you. I am getting mixed messages. Kindly help me understand so I can provide you with helpful feed-back.
    1. You have been friends for 5 years and counting and you say you are decent friends. What do you mean when you say he doesn’t like me?
    2. You have made it clear that you have feelings for him. When he asks you if you have a boyfriend yet what is your answer?

It is usually not in our best interest when we try to figure out what something means in our own head when someone does or says this or that. Many times the person does not have a clear understanding as to why they do or say things. However we can better understand you and your feelings, thoughts, and actions. You like him, he asks if you if you have a boyfriend and:
    3. What are you feeling when he asks you this question?
    4. What do you start to tell yourself?
    I look forward to reading your response and providing you pertinent feed-back

aubsluv23
    aubsluv23
    Participant
    February 3, 2019 at 7:44 pm #194069

He’s definitely interested!